QA-550 SD card 16/44.1 WAV transport

I've run into a problem with one of my SDHC cards, a Transcend 8GB. The first one I bought worked fine, but the player won't respond to the second one. When the loaded card is inserted the display shows 'QA-550 START' but then is unresponsive to any of the controls.

There seems to be something different about this card, inasmuch as my computer shows '7.6GB available', whereas my other 8GB cards show '7.4GB available'.

I've tried re-formatting the card to no avail. Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?

I got a quick reply from Clark: He pointed me in the direction of the 'Downloads' section on the QLS website, which has an update for the QA-550.

The new firmware claims to give support to 16GB cards, enables a greater number of folders and tracks to be stored, and alters the method by which tracks are selected. However, in my opinion the new method is no better and I've emailed my criticisms of it to Clark. I must say that I'm impressed by the support from QLS - they are helpful and are obviously keen to make improvements.

My new SD card still won't function, but since I have three others that are OK I think there must be a problem with this card.

I received my QA-550 yesterday - very nicely built bit of kit. I uploaded the new firmware which was as simple a process as the manual described.

To check if it worked, I dumped a load of existing folders of wav files onto the supplied 2GB card. Some folders played fine; others weren't recognised by the player (even though they were 16/44.1KHz wav files that worked fine on my laptop). I ripped some new discs using EAC - all of these played fine on the player. So use EAC and you'll be fine :)

Sound-wise, I couldn't detect a big difference between the QA-550 and my cheap Phillips DVD player when connected to a Behringer SRC2496 and then CS4397 dac. I think the QA-550 sounded slightly more focused and solid, but doubt I could tell the two sources apart in a blind test.