First attempt at asynchronous reclocking - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th May 2003, 01:38 PM   #1
Oli is offline Oli  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default First attempt at asynchronous reclocking

Hi Everyone! I am new to this forum, but want to get straight into the action by enquiring about asynchronous reclocking.

I am attempting to implement asynchronous reclocking circuit using several flip-flops driven by a Kwak Clock-7. I would like to construct this as a 100Mhz oscillator, but do not know what crystal to use or where to source one in the UK. Am I correct in thinking that at this frequency crystals operate in overtone mode?
Is there a simple catalogue solution? (e.g. RS, Farnell etc.)
Old 11th May 2003, 07:52 PM   #2
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Lightbulb Asynchronous Reclocker

Hi Oli, Welcome to the forum.
Please use the email button below this post to mail me and I will repy with the schematic attached.
Old 25th May 2003, 12:38 AM   #3
Oli is offline Oli  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Question Is reclocking truthful?

Just a thought about asynchronous reclocking with flip-flops on the data bus before I try it...

I continue to be worried by some of the distortions this theoretically introduces and perhaps someone can correct me or assure that this is a sound technique.

The asynchronous relationship between the crystal clock and data bus from the 8412 recovered from the PLL leads to a consistent beat pattern. This is supposed to be innaudiable.

Occasionally, DATA, LATCH and DATACLOCK transistions will lead to metastable states, since these are not synchronous with the crystal clock . This will lead to a further (and random) jitter pattern.

A second set of flip-flops may absorb this jitter- but data may be lost if the first flip-flop latches up too long.

Is the result of reclocking a truthful sound, or simply a more pleasant sound resulting from shreaded data? Can more detail be heard, or is the sound simply nicer?

Hide this!Advertise here!