First attempt at asynchronous reclocking

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everyone! I am new to this forum, but want to get straight into the action by enquiring about asynchronous reclocking.

I am attempting to implement asynchronous reclocking circuit using several flip-flops driven by a Kwak Clock-7. I would like to construct this as a 100Mhz oscillator, but do not know what crystal to use or where to source one in the UK. Am I correct in thinking that at this frequency crystals operate in overtone mode?
Is there a simple catalogue solution? (e.g. RS, Farnell etc.)
:scratch:

Is reclocking truthful?

Just a thought about asynchronous reclocking with flip-flops on the data bus before I try it...

I continue to be worried by some of the distortions this theoretically introduces and perhaps someone can correct me or assure that this is a sound technique.

The asynchronous relationship between the crystal clock and data bus from the 8412 recovered from the PLL leads to a consistent beat pattern. This is supposed to be innaudiable.

Occasionally, DATA, LATCH and DATACLOCK transistions will lead to metastable states, since these are not synchronous with the crystal clock . This will lead to a further (and random) jitter pattern.

A second set of flip-flops may absorb this jitter- but data may be lost if the first flip-flop latches up too long.

Is the result of reclocking a truthful sound, or simply a more pleasant sound resulting from shreaded data? Can more detail be heard, or is the sound simply nicer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.