Sony SA50ES used as drive - lcaudio clock useful ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Clock upgrades always pay off. When used as a transport only the clock will certainly have a great impact on sound. Jitter via SPDIF will be lower and you'll hear that immediately.

Think about Guido Tent's module or Elso Kwak's solution. Cheaper and probably better. I strongly advise to use a separate transformer and power supply. That way you won't have ground loops and other nasty things.

Sony Problem

TNT said:
Thanks !

I actually ordered one even if lcaudio themself, on a mail question from me, did not reccomend the upgrade. That itself puts some points in my book. But why?

Well I just wanted to be more secure.

Hi TNT,
May I ask how old your Sony is? I never heard of this model.
Older Sony players have the problem that if you replace the 45.1584 MHz clock the 16.9344MHz clock derived from it is not improved. The 45 MHz clock goes to the DAC .
From there goes a divided down clock to a 16.9344 MHz crystal and a CMOS oscillator to get a synchronised 16.9344 MHz clock going to the digital signal processor. The CMOS oscillator is not low jitter.....so much of the improvement is lost in the proces. I hope this clarifies the matter.
Newer Sony's f.a. CDPXA30ES/ SCD-1/777ES don't have this problem as the 45.1584MHz oscillator is the sole clock.:cool:

CDP-XA50ES

TNT said:
OK! I was a bit lazy. The full model name is:

CDP-XA50ES

Thanks for the consern Elso !

Best regards /

edit: I don't know where i got the SA from :scratch:

Hi TNT,
Helas the situation in your Sony is as I pictured in post # 5.
But you can replace the 16.9344 MHz oscillator and use the Sony only as a transport with a separate DAC component.
:cool:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Sh*t!

I ordered a 45 Mhz osc. I dont think lcaudio mention this kind of mod. Do You have any reference to a 16.9 Mhz clock upgrade to improve the sp/dif output ?
Scematics, board layouts etc.

I am surprised that the CDPXA50ES is not the same as CDPXA30ES. They seem to be designed at the same time !

BR/

jean-paul said:
Clock upgrades always pay off. When used as a transport only the clock will certainly have a great impact on sound. Jitter via SPDIF will be lower and you'll hear that immediately.

Think about Guido Tent's module or Elso Kwak's solution. Cheaper and probably better. I strongly advise to use a separate transformer and power supply. That way you won't have ground loops and other nasty things.

Hello jean-paul,

What are "Guido Tent's module" and "Elso Kwak's Solution"?
Sorry, I am a newble of this forum.

16.9344 MHz Clock

TNT said:
Mr Kwak !

Could You give me some more hints on the 16.9344 Mhz tweak ?

BR /
Hi TNT,
I simply install the KWAK-CLOCK in the player and connect the output of the clock to the digital signal processor. You can not use the crystal from the player. You need a new 16.9344 MHz crystal.
The schematic of the KWAK-CLOCK is available by email. Just send me a email by hitting the email button below this post and I will reply with the schematic attached.

;)

Re: 16.9344 MHz Clock

Elso Kwak said:

Hi TNT,
I simply install the KWAK-CLOCK in the player and connect the output of the clock to the digital signal processor. You can not use the crystal from the player. You need a new 16.9344 MHz crystal.
The schematic of the KWAK-CLOCK is available by email. Just send me a email by hitting the email button below this post and I will reply with the schematic attached.

;)

Hello Elso Kwak,

Why can not use the crystal from the player? :confused:

I need to revive this threat as I to have the exact Sony XA50ES.
I have replaced the 45 MHz Clock with and XO3.
I know that there is another Clock in the unit, however I didn't know that this clock actually has so much overall impact.
If I do understand it right, using the player has a whole would imply changing both clocks?
I cannot say how much the improvement of my modification is due to the XO3 as at the same time I replaced over 60 parts in the player on 3 boards.
It doesn't sound like a typical Sony any more, the improvement is day and night, however if the consensus is that only the change of both clocks will bring the jitter reduction, then I will be on for it.
Any comments?
Thanks,
Oliver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.