Sony SA50ES used as drive - lcaudio clock useful ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jean-paul said:

So now you don't know what improved the cdplayer most and maybe some mods even made it slightly less good !?!?

Not at all. Detail resolution is up to a new never before encountered level. Furthermore the typical "cold" and "sterile" sound from Sony players as I know them is completely gone.
The parts replaces are mainly caps, OP-Amps and diodes.
Further more the filter was „smoothed".
I do have the schematics of the player and did know that both clocks played a role. However, as on this player some parts are in done SMD I am a bit prudent in the parts I am removing.
Typically it is advised to replace the 45 MHZ Clock as it works for the DAC. Which I did. However I was not sure about the other, so I left it as it is. Not sure now if I should replace it or not.
However I wouldn't go that far as replacing it by a complete L-Clock. Does someone have a good source for precision cut crystals in Europe? I found one in Switzerland, but the prices are not what I am looking for.

Sony XA50ES used as drive

Ossi said:
I need to revive this threat as I to have the exact Sony XA50ES.
I have replaced the 45 MHz Clock with and XO3.
I know that there is another Clock in the unit, however I didn't know that this clock actually has so much overall impact.
If I do understand it right, using the player has a whole would imply changing both clocks?
I cannot say how much the improvement of my modification is due to the XO3 as at the same time I replaced over 60 parts in the player on 3 boards.
It doesn't sound like a typical Sony any more, the improvement is day and night, however if the consensus is that only the change of both clocks will bring the jitter reduction, then I will be on for it.
Any comments?
Thanks,
Oliver
Hi Oliver,
Please see this post of mine:
http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=digital&n=69863&highlight=elso+sony&r=&session=
If you use the Sony only as a transport with a separate DAC component, you can replace only the 16.9344 MHz clock with good results.
Newer Sony's have solved the two clock problem as they have only a 45.1584MHz clock.

:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.