Teac VRDS-10 problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My father bought one of these some time ago and it has started playing up. He was going to bin it, :eek: but I thought it was too legendary a player to just be chucked in the bin, so I decided to have a look at it. :eek:

On first inspection, sometimes the tray seems to stick and there's a noisy ratchet-like clac-clac-clac. Looking at the mechanism, it looks like the belts are worn / lose as there seems to be a fait bit of play and I guess they're slipping on the wheels.

It looks like I can get hold of spares here: http://www.chsinteractive.co.uk/electrical-components/misc/vrds10-belt-loading-teac.htm

But are there any guides on how to do this? I did a search and it looks like there's a service manual floating around. Any idea where I might find one or instructions to get me going?

I'm pretty competant with small electronics and am a broadcast engineer by trade, but just worried that if I take it all apart, I'll be left with one or two screws once I put it back together again :D

Thanks in advance :)

Just been doin' a bit of phoning around...

If you have no account with Teac UK, then you have to go thru 'Acoustic Services' (01844347600).

There's a kindly gent there that knows about this 2-step gear (M02646000A). The cost ? :eek: £44 inclusive.

Apparently, Teac had to have new tooling made to produce more of the part (!) and hence it's price. I know what I think !!

I'm gonna mull this one over...:scratch2:

Andy

VRDS (CMK-4) 2 step gear

Ok, mulling time over !

I am thinking of purchasing the new gear wheel with the view to pressing a mold from it, from which I can make some more...

Surely we can't be letting teac have us 'over a barrel' for such a small piece of plastic...!??

Anyone want to 'pool' further thoughts to this ?

I know there is a 'mouldable plastic' that can be bought on ebay, but I don't think it will be strong enough when formed into the necessary gear teeth.

-A-

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.