Laser Diode Successor of SLD-104U for SONY ESPRIT KSS Series

The follow Sony laser units (optical pick up for ESPRIT series) are no longer available:
KSS-270A, KSS271A, KSS-272A, KSS273A/B and KSS274A. Therefore only the possibility of changing the laserdiode there are.
So far I bought the KSS150A and set the laser diode to the device for restaurating (mostly KSS-272A), but that is no elegant solution
The 780nM laser diodes inside in all mentioned types of optical pick up's are mostly the follow:
SLD104U (no datasheet)
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/sony/a6802787.pdf (SLD104AU, 5mW)
http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/S/L/D/1/SLD104BUL.shtml (SLD104BUL, 10mW)
For replace I need a successor type from currently production, that is compatible to the old types.
Who can call me currently types that match the requirements from the old SONY types?
at botton pdf circuit diagrams of KSS272A
thank you very much for some advices

Attachments

• c ...-cd-kss-272a.ckt.pdf
    42 KB · Views: 1,083
Did you use the diode from a KSS150A in the KSS272A or did something different?

I don't know if the KSS151A that are still available can be used in place of the KSS27xA series as they do look similar. Maybe someone might have had experience with this.

perhaps you misunderstand my question: I cannot use the KSS-150A in place of the KSS-27xA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please note: Laser diode isn't laser head and isn't optical pick up.
Please open the pdf links and you can read more about laser diode
Because the KSS-150A use the same optical block and the same laser diode type as the KSS-272A, I remove the laser diode from a new KSS-150A. And then I remove the laser diode from the KSS-272A. At third step I set in the new laser diode from Kss 150A in the KSS-272A.
Because I dont like this work (I must better say, I hate it), I need successor diodes from currently production. Excuse my bad english.

where are the members from Japan (at best earlier developers from Sony and Accuphase)?

There are great amounts of faulty vintage top CD Players from Sony and Accuphase over the world - perhaps 1 million !!! Optical pick up's (e. g. KSS-280A or KSS-273B, mostly the main reason for not reading TOC) no longer available since a long time - nowhere.

Therefore I need successors of this laser diodes for replace, used in the old optical pickup devices of certainly KSS versions (mainly for vintage "Esprit" Accuphase and SONY CD player models)

Tiefbassuebertragung,
did you succeed in exchanging the diodes? I started a smiliar thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...why-not-replacing-diode-only.html#post2040787

Do you know, which lasers used the SLD104AU, 5mW and SLD104BUL, 10mW
besides the KSS-7272 and KSS-150?

Viele Grüße,
Salar

No (except the 5 "ES" exemplares, repair as describted about post #1). As I know, the SLD104AU and formerly SLD104U (more current for the same optical output power) was used in all Laser units between KSS150 and KSS281. And SLD104BUL (10mW, used for professional stuff) I have never see in consumer compact disc player parts.
No compatible 780-785nM diodes are on the marked. To the currently laser diodes there are three main differences:
1) LD (Laser diode) with reverse polarity (new APC circuit neccesary)
2) MD (Monitor diode) with reverse polarity (new APC circuit neccesary)
3) other radiadion angle (diagonal exit window - see data sheet)

I am quite shure, on some forum discussions from Japan and China there are solutions, but as you can see, no of the diyaudio members from there do post here this advices.
They are very happy to receive information, but very unhappy to disclose information - that is the problem.

Please note additional - to get all informations about the data sheets, you must show a wide range of types, because SONY haven't mentioned all important things regarded their diodes by all types (e. g. no outline M-259 is mentioned by the datasheet of sld104AU !!! ) - go to
http://www.datasheetarchive.com/datasheet-pdf/7564.html

Last edited:
Now I have found any informations of the very special outline of SONY's SLD laser diodes for compact disc players:
The light beam exit (front of the M-259 housing) is angled (30 degrees) so that the exit window (anti-reflection coated) is mounted at the same angle to prevent any remaining reflections from the window's surfaces - as small as the are - from feeding back into the laser diode's envelope or interfering with the detected signal. The output of these edge emitting laser diodes is polarized. This angle is the so called "Brewster Angle"

Brewster Window - read more about this there:
Sam's Laser FAQ - Diode Lasers
scroll down to this headline
"Examples of Common Laser Diodes"

What is a Brewster Window? - go to
Sam's Laser FAQ - Items of Interest
http://www.ryutu.inpit.go.jp/chart/H13/dennki08/fdennki08.pdf (history of Sony Laser, Japan language)

By the KSM-213 datasheet I note, that in addition to the Sony Type "SLD-104AU" other diodes are proposed for use, without further mentioned modifications - go to the last page about
MODEL:KSM-213QCS PAGE: 2
How is this possible?

some photos of this different laser diodes you will find about
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/119235-sony-kss213c.html#post2062399

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I have got an original sealed package of 50 SONY SLD104AU diodes here!
Anyone interrested?

I can ship all 50 of them at once or ship them one by one from Holland.
Price of 1 piece: EU 2.00 plus shipping, price for all 50 pieces in original seal together: EU 75.-- plus shipping.

Who's first?

Regards,

Hi guys,
I have got an original sealed package of 50 SONY SLD104AU diodes here!
Anyone interrested?
I can ship all 50 of them at once or ship them one by one from Holland.
Price of 1 piece: EU 2.00 plus shipping, price for all 50 pieces in original seal together: EU 75.-- plus shipping.
Who's first?
Regards,

Thanks for this advice.
Really the diode from follow datasheet?
SLD104AU Datasheet pdf - AlGaAs Laser Diode - SONY
From which source you have get this diode? Was it from remaining stock or from currently production? This type is still in use (in the "U"-Version) by follow KSS 213A-Q laser head:
http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/24137-ksm213ccm-cd-pick-mech-31155.html
have a look by post 20 (attachement) about
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/95276-sony-cd-player-optical-pickups-2.html
and the AU-Version like yours by Samsung; have a look to the links by post 3/4 about
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/119235-sony-kss213c.html
Please send me your contact address to my email adress:
kirschner-hifi@tiefbasswiedergabe.de

Actually I would like to use for replace a compatible diode with higher life expectancy than this type. Are there news about this in the meantime?

Last edited:
SONY SLD104AU diodes

Hi - if these are correct for my machines then I would like a few.

Sony CDP 577esd - kss 190a
Sony CDP 222es - kss 151a
Denon 2560 - kss 151a

I would appreciate advice from members that these would be worthwhile purchasing for the above. It would be my intention to have 2 for each machine if this was a good move and leave plenty for others who have joined the thread.

Best regards
Jeff

@tiefbassuebertr:
Yes, it is exactly the same diode. Originally packed.
I got them from a corporation that develops electronics. They didn't need them anymore, since the project was stopped. The package is not opened yet. The SONY partnumber is 71800380 according the package. There is no readable production code on the package. Just a lot number in Japanese...

@moonshadow:
I have no answer to your question.

Regards,
GerTronic

Some info on this lasers reliability at the end of this document: http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/tec/catalog/pdf/qr_2.pdf
Thank you very much for this PDF document. Interesting to know it would be to know, why the most other diodes used in optical pick up's for cd players from Sharp, Rohm (RLD78 series, also used mostly in Philips CDM0-4), Sanyo and Mitsubishi have much more lifetime than the diodes from Sony.

@tiefbassuebertr:
Yes, it is exactly the same diode. Originally packed.
I got them from a corporation that develops electronics. They didn't need them anymore, since the project was stopped. The package is not opened yet. The SONY partnumber is 71800380 according the package. There is no readable production code on the package. Just a lot number in Japanese...

@moonshadow:
I have no answer to your question.

Regards,
GerTronic
Thanks for the reply. Please let me know the brand name of this corporation, that develops electronics. Then I will ask there of their ordering address for this laserdiode package and the next step is to ask there for successors with better characteristics regarded lifetime and light power - thanks again

Attachments

• Laser Diode Reliability (SONY).pdf
    169.7 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:
@tiefbassuebertr:
This company is a one-man company. I don't think he will take the time to research where he bought this diodes. Actually, I am quite sure he won't, if I know him well. ;)

As far as I can see, there is no real replacement for this diode.

If I read the document well, this diodes have a MTTF of 1 milion hours when operating at room temperature. That is about 114 years of continous use. That must be enough for most people... The trick is: keep the operating temperature as low as possible.

@tiefbassuebertr:
This company is a one-man company. I don't think he will take the time to research where he bought this diodes. Actually, I am quite sure he won't, if I know him well. ;)

As far as I can see, there is no real replacement for this diode.

If I read the document well, this diodes have a MTTF of 1 milion hours when operating at room temperature. That is about 114 years of continous use. That must be enough for most people... The trick is: keep the operating temperature as low as possible.

Very interesting; please contact me about
kirschner-hifi@tiefbasswiedergabe.de
or let me know your e-mail and personal address.