Laser Diode Successor of SLD-104U for SONY ESPRIT KSS Series

Well, do you have a better source?
No. According the short form data on page 47 under
http://static.scbist.com/scb/uploaded/datasheets/sony.pdf
the SLD304 actually must have more reliability and a higher lifetime than the predecessor SLD104. And according the positive feedback of the sellers actually should not be inferior fakes here.
But your bad experiences in real live raise the question, why nevertheless the positive feedback on the ebay sellers comes about.

Last edited:
Your Sony diodes are from 1996, so end of life reached long ago and definately no
reliable sources, same as with my Sharp LT022MC diodes.
So there is no need to throw around useless data like a Sony catalogue or seller ratings....
This means that all offerers (mostly in Chine) only want to make money, without any real benefit for the users.

I had extensive experience 20-25 years ago using the 104. We at Applied Laser Systems (long gone) bought them by the hundreds, used thousands a year. I can tell you that if you can source these ancient devices in the present era, an amateur or a technician not trained in proper techniques of laser handling replacing these device and expecting them to work correctly is on a fool's errand. The threshold of static damage with these old lasers is in the range of 50 volts. Sliding across your chair generates hundreds to thousands of volts of static charge. So if you handle them (take them out of the antistatic bag and look them over, for example), you have already very likely caused "invisible" damage that will cause them to fail prematurely. We had conductive floors, wrist straps, shoe straps, gowns with conductive fibers in them, and de-ionizing air jets in the assembly and test areas.

So my advice is to say goodbye to the CD players that use these IR laser diodes. There is literally no going back. Sorry.

Hello Adam,
as I wrote before we still try to replace the diodes. The first moment I unbox them, I am grounded. But the sellers give a damn. Out of 40 1rst gen Sharp
LT022MC diodes bought from ebay maybe 8 worked but are still not emitting more than an old diode. But we know and trying out the Sharps for evaluation.
It is just about finding the means and developing the tools to do replacements, working on a BU-1C.
But the next, crucial step would be to adapt modern diodes (like from Arima Lasers) to those old laser heads. Many variables, much work:
They need to be adapted phyiscally, the flex board needs to be altered, the APC circuit needs to be changed,
it has to be adressed if the Laser/photodiodes share common ground or not, (i.e. the Amira diodes do not.)

But for the beginning, what no one could not explain yet and maybe you can:
What about the parallel divergence angle/ perpendicular divergence angle?
Are they crucial and do they have to be the exactly same?
Datasheets attached...

Thanks,
Salar

Attachments

• Arima-AlGaAsInfrared Laser DiodeADL-78101TL.pdf
    331.6 KB · Views: 134
  • SHARP_LT022MC_Complete_Datasheet.pdf
    239.2 KB · Views: 147
Well, as to divergence angle, it looks like the Sharp and the Arima are the same. Divergence should only be a problem if it was much wider. In that case the active area of the focus lens might not catch all of the laser energy for collimation, and the portion of the beam hitting the edge of the lens could cause serious diffraction problems.

When we started Applied Laser in 1989, we had a box of perhaps 250 LT022 diodes that our senior scientist bought surplus. The had been removed from Gen 1 CD players. They were pretty much unbreakable; we powered them with 2 batteries and a series resistor!

in the meantime various guys have found ways for replace the SONY diode against a more reliability type.
But this youtube videos are not really helpful - maybe nobody will show the necessary steps in detail:
(only demonstration the result)
(several steps show, but no diode replace)
(only explain the locations of special parts)

What about this special Dutch repair service ?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/294757258722
https://www.ebay.de/itm/294757258722
At first glance it looks very interesting to me.
Any experiences ?