VAM1204 VAM1205 VAM1206 VAM1250 VAM1252 VAM1254 CDM12pro VAU1254=CDM12.4 compatib

vam 1205-alternatives?

Hi

I have a meridian 508.24 which has a VAM 1205 which produces the "no disk" error. A couple of questions:

1- is CDM12.5 the same (as in the laser head)?
2 are there any alternatives to this somewhat hard to find unit
3 my assumption is that the problem is the laser not reading the disk rather than the mechanism not putting the laser in the correct position

any help appreciated, and thanks to all who have provided such a wealth of information

Regards

Peter

Hi

I have a meridian 508.24 which has a VAM 1205 which produces the "no disk" error. A couple of questions:

1- is CDM12.5 the same (as in the laser head)?
2 are there any alternatives to this somewhat hard to find unit
3 my assumption is that the problem is the laser not reading the disk rather than the mechanism not putting the laser in the correct position

any help appreciated, and thanks to all who have provided such a wealth of information

Regards

Peter

What happens exactly?
Rotates the disc or not?
Are there laser light while focus procedure (while collimator lens goes up and down several times) ?
If the disc motor isn't to replace you need the laser head from CDM12.4 mechanism equipped with TDA1302. You will get it between 5 and 20 US-$ - unfortunately there are in most cases cheap copies in faulty or not perfect condition. Try to get NOS parts from Philips "Made in Japan".
Ask your local Marantz service center or Naim Audio, if Meridian haven't this head. Ask additional by Mission Cyrus (DAD compact disc players use also CDM12.4 as I know). Of course - you must calculate much more costs therefore than 20 US-$.
If you will get the head include mechanism, replace nevertheless only the head itself.

For more details check out this thread carefully and the mentioned links here.
Check also out this thread
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...k-up-cd-player-wholesaler-manufacturer-2.html
especially the pics from post #12 (concerning the outline of NOS packages).

Last edited:
CDS-II VAM1205 Question

I have a VAM1205 as shown in the attached photo. Came out of a Naim CDS-II player. It stops playing in the middle of any track randomly and repositions on track #1.
There are 4 wires that connect my VAM1205 to the servo-board.

On VAM1205 is the laser unit replaceable?
If yes does the replacement require calibration & optical alignment?
The mfg label on this transport shows Phillips and Naim logo which suggests it was calibrated & aligned for CDS-II. Does this mean a generic VAM1205 will not plug & play?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Not sure if this thread is getting much attention but I would be grateful for some advice regarding the VAL/VAM1250 which is used in my Audio Analogue Paganini (MKII I think 96Mhz/24bit with the CD tray in the centre).

Mine mostly plays but occasionally skips on some discs. I've read (What HiFI thread) that the VAM1250 clones sold on ebay are not compatible (dunno why?) and any replacement must be a genuine Philips one, and these are no longer available to order.

That means the only option is to salvage one from a compatible player that uses the same mechanism and the Marantz and Philips CDR players seem ideal candidates - especially those with 2 CD trays.

So, is it safe to assume that any of these ( in What players use the VAM1250 thread) will work OK with my Paganin or have AA done something to prevent a straight swap?

VAM1250 replacements

Hi

I finally succumbed and bought one for JusTone in Essen Germany, these as I understand it are reconditioned/refurbished units and the cost including airmail to the USA is about 70 euro. Sebastian who runs JusTone is very efficient and easly to deal with, so if you can tolerate the cost, I would contact him.

Peter

I have a VAM1205 as shown in the attached photo. Came out of a Naim CDS-II player. It stops playing in the middle of any track randomly and repositions on track #1.

The mfg label on this transport shows Phillips and Naim logo which suggests it was calibrated & aligned for CDS-II. Does this mean a generic VAM1205 will not plug & play?

Hi tiefbassuebertr,
All the Philips mechanisms and possibly heads are offered with options, so you end up with a ton of part numbers - and they can be completely different.

One thing is cetain though. Once Philips started manufacturing in China, the quality control became non-existant. I do use the VAM1202 both in a complete transport, and as a subassembly. The quality ranges from non-working to working okay, but never really good. The VAM1202 is different than the CDM12.x.

Chasing down specs for the actual laser diode will be unhelpful. Sharp sold these as a large OEM order for an industrial customer. They were not available for individual sale to the best of my knowledge. Not only that, but the quality ranges pretty far up and down the scale. It's possible the laser diode can be supplied as die, in which case you can forget messing around with them. I've never wasted the time to crack one open. Suffice to say that many manufacturers of CD product has either ditched Philips or are scrambling for another OEM.

If you want to pursue this, go ahead and search. If you are attempting to repair a head, I think you are wasting your time. Don't forget the alignment for the optics, then calibrating the laser power sensing diode.

-Chris
Please read my post #35 by
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...e-philips-cdm12-vam12-mech-4.html#post3712727

Last edited:

Since my posting, the skipping problem of my CDS-II got worse and finally stopped playing and loading tracks. Pressing play displayed "Err" on the LED display. I removed the transport and examined the moving parts. I noticed the rail and wheel were bone-dry. I lubricated these parts with Phil Wood Tenacious oil - check it out on eBay. This oil is fine for metal or plastic. Powered the system up and voila! At the outset, there were couple of minor skips but these also went away with more continuous play. Before replacing the transport, I would highly recommend lubrication which can be an inexpensive fix.

Philips pickup VAM1250?

I am trying to find a source for a Philips pickup for a Pro 2 player. I am trying to find a source that is cheaper than the expensive LTOH30PA Hologram laser. I have seen a pickup that has a Sharp GH6C005B3BA laser and uses the TZA1022 controller. Does anyone know where I could get this pickup? Thank you
Herb
Please email me at normastrehl@yahoo.com

I am trying to find a source for a Philips pickup for a Pro 2 player. I am trying to find a source that is cheaper than the expensive LTOH30PA Hologram laser. I have seen a pickup that has a Sharp GH6C005B3BA laser and uses the TZA1022 controller. Does anyone know where I could get this pickup? Thank you
Herb
Please email me at normastrehl@yahoo.com
ask there:
Impressum – www.Musi24.de

Hi tiefbassuebertr
Do you have a list of donor units for the Philips 1265/51 loader?
This plastic is hard to find! :mad:

Thx
Dom
No. Mean you L1265/51 (Philips order code "3104 147 02481") ?
Then maybe this threads helps:
Clamper Trouble by Philips Loader L1265/51 in use by Primare, Cyrus DAD3 NAD S500
Are there Philips/Marantz CD Player Models with Loader "L1265" (L-1265) and CDM 12
problem with quad cd 77 help needed
Philips CDR765 seems to be the right device, good available in used condition, there this loader is in use:
Philips CDR765 Service manual anyone?

Last edited:
When comparing the prices for the same part, there are big differences. Mainly because of the fact that you either deal with NOS parts (partly extremely expensive - Made in Holland - go to post #37 under
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...ransport-compatible-replacement.156227/page-2
Made in Belgium/Made in Japan) but also partly extremely cheap (Made in China - often good known various deficiencies in order to mechanical behavior, reliability and lifetime).
On the packages of the associated laser heads and mechanism there is under "Made in" to read the country of manufacture.
Except Netherlands, Belgium and Japan there is often mentioned Taiwan, Singapore, Philippines, Thailand, India, Vietnam - but sometimes nothing).
Under
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/what-players-use-the-vam1250.83432/page-2
you will see in post #29 in the first image various packages.
In my experience, the most reliable designs are among the first three countries mentioned - i. e. Netherlands, Belgium and Japan.
But since cheap copies from China could have been put in the original packaging (quite likely at low prices) isn't that a reliable indication that one have purchased good quality.
What other features on the laser unit/mechanism are there that tell me if I have a high quality NOS version or a cheap copy from China ?