Sony Scd C555ES

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've just replaced the laser (thanks to the posts here), knew to remove the blob, ran the tests from the service manual, checked that the unit is rotating into position, laser is lighting, unit recognizes sacd--disc tests are all errors, won't read toc.

There is quite a rumble which I've read is the laser trying to focus, but I can't get it to read anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I've cleaned and lubed both the old unit and new--the new one is still not working, so I'm going to return it. Interestingly the old unit is MUCH better, it's reading CD TOC again and will actually play CD's. The SACD is still working, but it was before. The only problem left is it continues to stutter in spots on CDs.

I found info on using Deoxit to clean and lube the motors, and used sillicone grease on the gear and rail mechanisms. I highly recommend it for anyone that owns one of these machines-it will be become regular maintenance from now on.

Sony SCD-C555ES

I can probably help you with this. Do you remember the easiest way to replace the laser? I have a clean 555 system with problematic pickup unit. I need to replace the laser which I bought off ebay. I can share my findings once I replace the laser. However, I still don't know how to get access to the laser unit. Is it from the top or bottom?

I've just replaced the laser (thanks to the posts here), knew to remove the blob, ran the tests from the service manual, checked that the unit is rotating into position, laser is lighting, unit recognizes sacd--disc tests are all errors, won't read toc.

There is quite a rumble which I've read is the laser trying to focus, but I can't get it to read anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.