Laser replacement for TEAC VRDS 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2009, 10:25 AM   #1
Pani is offline Pani  India
diyAudio Member

Default Laser replacement for TEAC VRDS 10

Hi,
I have a TEAC VRDS 10 CDP. I am trying to get a replacement laser for it. I know it uses KSS151A laser unit. I have mainly two question regarding it:

1. How easy or difficult is it to replace the laser unit ? Since I am not a techie I really do not know the complexity of this job.

2. Is it okay to buy a old laser unit which has a new laser ? Someone I know has a old laser unit but he says that the laser itself is new. Please tell me if that is possible in the first place ? And whether it is a reliable thing to use a old laser unit ?
I mean, mostly in a laser unit its the laser that gives away after certain hours of usage, but are there other things also that can give away ? Am I doing fine if I just have a old but functional laser unit with a new laser ? Is it reliable enough ?

Please share your experiences and views.

regards
Pani
Old 20th July 2009, 12:18 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

replacing of this optical pickup isn't really easy - it is much more difficult compare to the replace of the typ KSS-210A or KSS-150A. I cannot recommend the change for beginners - please go to your service center or to a friend of you, who have experience and can do this.
Some foto of this laser unit and the kind of mounting you can find about

http://www.lampizator.eu/lampizator/...d/sony227.html

Regarded the change of the laser diode itself (Sony Type SLD104AU, 780-785Nm) I would be sceptical. I search a long time to companies resp. suppliers for this laser diode typ or better version, that can do this, but I don't find.

Here all cd player models (that I know) with KSS-151A inside
SONY
CDP-222ES
CDP-222ESD
CDP-227ESD
CDP-228ESD
CDP-338ESD
CDP-505ESD
CDP-507ESD
CDP-508ESD
CDP-608ESD
CDP-910