Databook about SONY's KSS optical pick up series

Hallo everyone,
I search a long time a data sheet ore book collection from optical pick up's especially from Sony (widest type range).
Only from Samsung I have found complete datas online - see
CDP Traverse Deck Model CMS-B35BG6 (Samsung Laser-Unit SOH-AAV) Part-No CDM31279
http://www.haluyatech.com/down/sgnec/CMS-B35BG6-20040303.pdf
CDP Traverse Deck Model CMS-B33SG6 (Samsung Laser-Unit SOH-AAX)
http://www.haluyatech.com/down/sgnec/CMS-B33SG6(20030210).pdf
Please let me know more about such data books from all KSS types.
Thank you very much,
Best regards
Andreas Kirschner

I have found in this case this web address - new for me:

http://www.sony-shiroishi.co.jp/product/index.html

a SONY department of opto electronical decices resp. laser diodes
There certainly know more about the exactly title and the years of release from old SONY data books about optical pick up's (laser units) especially the types KSS-120C, KSS-121A, KSS-123A, KSS-122B, KSS-152A, KSS-211A, KSS-270A, KSS-271A, KSS-272A, KSS-273A, KSS-274A, KSS-273B, KSS-281A and KSS-280A

Unfortunately all information are in Japan language and no e-mail address is to find. Perhaps at one of the members Japan is homeland and can call there
Thank you very much for finding informations

In my experience, which goes back to the beginning of cd, it's usually NOT the actual laser diode that goes bad in Sony pickups(though the earlier ones would need power output adjustment after a few years), but mostly the photodiode array chips. This is particularly true, god knows why, with the ones used in the beautiful, linear motor transports(excluding the wonderful first gen CDP-302/520 type), e.g., the KSS151, 272, etc. I've only seen one or two 151's where the laser got too weak to tweak up to range, and none of the later ones. Always the PD array chips, except for a very few cases of the lens suspension getting physically too weak to allow the focus servo to function properly.

In my experience, which goes back to the beginning of cd, it's usually NOT the actual laser diode that goes bad in Sony pickups(though the earlier ones would need power output adjustment after a few years), but mostly the photodiode array chips. This is particularly true, god knows why, with the ones used in the beautiful, linear motor transports(excluding the wonderful first gen CDP-302/520 type), e.g., the KSS151, 272, etc. I've only seen one or two 151's where the laser got too weak to tweak up to range, and none of the later ones. Always the PD array chips, except for a very few cases of the lens suspension getting physically too weak to allow the focus servo to function properly.

Interesting observation. But I think, the reason for this are different brands and different quality standarts of PDIC's (also called OPIC = optical integrated circuit). The Sony types KSS270-KSS271-KSS272-KSS280 uses Mitsubishi's "M52102". By KSS273-KSS274 are "M52104FP" inside. This informations are according the regarded service manuals, that not automaticly means, that this is in all cases.
By the datasheet about KSM-213CCM no PDIC type is mentioned. Perhaps it could be IS-1682 clone (by short life time) or IS-1682 original version from Sharp. But without datasheets from SONY this and much others remains unknown.

Attachments

• sharp IS1682.pdf
    53.9 KB · Views: 536
Perhaps this can help, its the same site but then in Englisch, which reads better than Japanese
Sony Global - Laser Diode
goodluck
Rob
Who from Japan's member can call there and ask for vintage KSS data books so as successor diodes in the same outline for the vintage types SLD104U and SLD104AU ??
If I a guy from Japan, I knew that after few phone calls.

according the follow auctions the SONY NOS parts from KSS-series are very expensive, partly the costs above which from the whole cd player - go e. g. to this auctions:
Sony KSS-151A. | eBay
KSS-272A + Spindelmotor wie NEU SONY ES für CDP-X707, X779, X505, X559ES KSS | eBay
Sony KSS-274A (KSS-273A/B) Laser Pickup CDP-X5000/XA7ES/XA5ES/XA50ES/XA55ES NOS | eBay

OTOH - the laser diodes itself therefore (SLD304) are very cheap - go to
http://www.ebay.de/itm/2pcs-SONY-78...523314?hash=item27fb573e32:g:idYAAOxyKsZRxWnZ
1pc SONY KSS-151A 3mw-5mW 780nm 5.6mm TO18 Infrared IR Laser/Lazer Diode LD | eBay

Datasheets of this laser units are very helpful. Unfortunately I find only for the KSS213C a datasheet - go to
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1944121.pdf

From where I can order the data sheets of KSS151A, Kss270A, KSS271A, KSS272A, KSS273B and KSS274B ?

And which company is able to perform a refurbishing of this old optical pick up modells ? Because that there are suppliers for the appropriate laser diodes, it must be present also companies for replace this diodes.
Thank you very much for advices.

Last edited:
If there was refurbishers they would have revealed themselves in this forum or any other forum.
So there aren´t any.
I assume what is being offered on ebay is b-ware shelved since decades. I also assume that sellers of diodes are Aware or ignorant that a swap is not possible for the average user. But they sell them.
I got 20 SharpLT022MC, all were not packed ESD-safe. Got my money back at once, to me another sign that the sellers do not trust their goods.

To replace diodes can be done with a group-effort.
As a first step, we´ll need some homebrew setup for aligning the diffraction grating. One question, is there a point besides the focus point to judge the adjustment of the graing? can it be made visible to the eye without electrical means, like HiRes Camaras (this was once mentioned in this forum)

Looks like the diffraction grating is not accessible once the diode is in place.
It is also under pressure of a spring. What was the trick?

So so if there is a member in this forum, who has connections to Japan, or is he/she could try to Research the People involved.
Some must be in their eighties already. Maybe the Administrators couldhelp in proposing members?

The other way round. if there is any japanese, technically biased audio-forum,
I would be lucky to join and ask - in english.

BTW, same with the Netherlands...

Last edited:
I have found in this case this web address - new for me:

404 Not Found

a SONY department of opto electronical decices resp. laser diodes
There certainly know more about the exactly title and the years of release from old SONY data books about optical pick up's (laser units) especially the types KSS-120C, KSS-121A, KSS-123A, KSS-122B, KSS-152A, KSS-211A, KSS-270A, KSS-271A, KSS-272A, KSS-273A, KSS-274A, KSS-273B, KSS-281A and KSS-280A

Unfortunately all information are in Japan language and no e-mail address is to find. Perhaps at one of the members Japan is homeland and can call there
Thank you very much for finding information
any news ?
URL is death but still available under
?\?j?[????Z?~?R???_?N?^??????m??i??n

Hello. I've bought some of "kss-151 diode lasers" from Ebay and Aliexpress. This diodes are 1mm higher that the diodes we can find in original sony kss pickups, and there is not any letter wroted. I've done measures with them and for to reach 3mw consumes between 80 or 90mA. This is too much and it makes me think that are conterfeit. I'd avoid it purchase. I've found this other ones but they haven't arrived yet, they looks different that the other "sony kss diode lasers".

Nuevo SONY KSS 151A 780nm 790nm 5mW laser diodo/780nm 790nm 304 6FN CD laser diodo|Abalorios luminosos| - AliExpress

By the moment I still use Rohm diodes.

Hello. I've bought some of "kss-151 diode lasers" from Ebay and Aliexpress. This diodes are 1mm higher that the diodes we can find in original sony kss pickups, and there is not any letter wroted. I've done measures with them and for to reach 3mw consumes between 80 or 90mA. This is too much and it makes me think that are conterfeit. I'd avoid it purchase. I've found this other ones but they haven't arrived yet, they looks different that the other "sony kss diode lasers".

Nuevo SONY KSS 151A 780nm 790nm 5mW laser diodo/780nm 790nm 304 6FN CD laser diodo|Abalorios luminosos| - AliExpress

By the moment I still use Rohm diodes.

Hello. Today arrived and the diodes of the link are counterfeit too. The diodes are not like picture, the diodes are the same the "kss-151A diode Ebay." Avoid these diodes.

However this diodes, the Sony SLD105VL reach 12mw at 50mA.

Hello. Today arrived and the diodes of the link are counterfeit too. The diodes are not like picture, the diodes are the same the "kss-151A diode Ebay." Avoid these diodes.

However this diodes, the Sony SLD105VL reach 12mw at 50mA.
I've don't proved it in any Sony pickup, but I hope probe it.

SONY SLD105VL 780nm 5mw 5.6mm

Hello. I've bought some diodes like this, and when the diode arrives it is different, it doesn't have any letter. I'm tired of this counterfeit diodes. I don't know if the diode of the picture is good, but the diode that the seller ship is other kind.
I'll never buy any diode like this, or announced like "diode for kss-151A", all are counterfeits, all.
All Rohm diode I've bought are good, and the sony and sanyo diodes in TV LED,LED STRIP,LED TV PARTS,TV LED STRIP,LED Upgrade Kits,TV Parts,CCFL TUBE.
I've mounted a KSS-272A with a Rohm diode RLD-78MA and it works. Yesterday I mounted a second KSS-272a with a RLD-MYA, and I'll see if it works in the followind days.

Summary: Avoid the diodes announced like "sony diode laser for KSS-151A".

Last edited: