naim cdi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I owned one of these for 4 years and - in many respects - I have still yet to hear anything that comprehensively outclasses it especially in terms of the 'boogie factor', so yes I'd also recommend sending it to Les at Avondale Audio. Naim will also look at it of course but will charge WAY too much, and more than likely replace the transport at extreme cost to you, when they can easily be refurbished for a fraction of that price.

I greatly regret letting mine go, and can't afford one second-hand now, though if you ever do decide to let yours go please let me know ;)

Cheers!

Yes the Cdi is well worth repairing.

Two things:
1) there's a 33uF cap on the (philips) transport board that dies and can cause read problems. (discussed here before - try a search). If it loads discs OK, then its not that..
2) The fade-out/hiss distortion after start-up is thw classic end-of-life mode for teh Philips TDA1541 dac. Easy to replace, but you have to find a good one first! The CDi uses the TDA1541S1, single silver crown, and frankly your best bet is to find a cheap old Philips/marantzx or similar player which uses one and cannibalise that. (you can find several lists of cd player dacs/chipsets on this site, too...)

I'm sure LesW can help you either way.
Good luck!

thanks folks for the advice,will probably get it fixed,ps as it has been broke for a while wife got me a cyrus 6,is it a match for the naim? and lastly any idea where i can get a naim 5pin to phono lead of decent quality as i am running into a dkn ref amp.will i love the sound from the naim through the amp as i might get rid of my 92/140 naim gear before cd repair.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.