"A standard CD player outputs signal at 24V"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Most portable devices are powered by USB and their power supply is limited to 5V. This means the output of the signal is limited to the maximum of 5V. On the other hand, a full scale component like a CD / DVD player has no such constraint, a standard CD player will happily output signal at 24V (+/-12V DC)

A standard amplifier that is designed to accept the standard 24V line input is going to struggle to deal with the 5V input. The end result is a 100W rated power amplifier struggling to produce 23W. That is why it does not sound right!

http://www.bursonaudio.com/burson_buffer_160.htm

o_O

I don't know what kind of standard those guys live with.

Standard CD maximum output level is 2V RMS. Even the peak to peak equivalent voltage of that is less than 6V. Most power amplifiers are designed with a gain set to output maximum wattage with a 0.5V RMS input. "Standard' line level is generally regarded as between 0.5V to 1V RMS. I don't know where the heck they got that 24V rubbish. It can be the max peak to peak voltage output of an active stage/opamp supplied at +/-12VDC, but it absolutely is NOT any kind of standard output level for any cd, sacd or etc.

That page is full of rubish, not only is the 24V thing wrong but the impedance matching is a total red herring. It only applies to power transfer, which has nothing to do with transfering a signal from preamp to power amp.

Not to mention the terrible english:

In the recent years one of the phenomenal is the raise of PC /Laptop / IPOD base audio system. The easy of use; the scalability of such system and the new loss less compression

Are you sure this isnt a joke?

Strange that they managed to find the output impedance figures of the CDPs to put on their web, yet miss totally the output level figures which is right next to it on the specifications page.

cdbd - "Are you sure this isnt a joke?", well, it is much more scary to know that this company has long been in existence and the Burson op-amp is in fact pretty well-known, and not too long ago someone had started a thread about it: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=146876

They did remove the inaccurate information immediately and replaced it with something less glaring but still as unconvincing.

The impedance mismatch part stayed and is used on the PC AUDIO & IPOD section instead. If the person in charge of writing this had any sort of advanced engineering knowledge I'd have guessed that he would also look through and correct any other mistakes rather than getting other people to point it out for them, but this wasn't my expectation to begin with.

And he wouldn't have mistaken this for the output stage of a sound card:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

C-Media8738-5-1ch-01b.JPG

When it is just a bunch of capacitors and resistors... for the midi port.
They got the other two correct though, but 67% accuracy doesn't spell good for a professional.

I wish I'd taken a screenshot of the original content to see how this unravels.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.