HD radio schematic - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd July 2009, 04:03 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bacon665
Default HD radio schematic

Anyone have one? ive spent many hours on google and forums looking for a schematic to decode hd radio. for inclusion in an all in one amp.
i seen one and could slap myself for not saving the images.

Thnx
Old 2nd July 2009, 01:03 PM   #2
gmarsh is offline gmarsh  Canada
diyAudio Member

You won't be able to build one - the hardware requirements (OFDM decoding, tons of processing) are similar in complexity to what you find in a digital cellphone.

Even if you did pull off the hardware, you won't be able to write the software required to do the decoding because the specs aren't out there. It's a proprietary system which involves a unique audio codec.

Best advice I can give you is to hack apart a commercial receiver and start looking for I2S.
Old 2nd July 2009, 05:26 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

If theyre being manufactured there has to be a way to get ahold of an IC or the stuff needed. but i guess ill just wait 10 years on that board until the stuff is available.
Old 2nd July 2009, 06:18 PM   #4
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bacon665
If theyre being manufactured there has to be a way to get ahold of an IC or the stuff needed.
Some ICs cannot be purchased and never will be able to be without direct arrangement with the manufacturer. Speaking from personal experience.
Old 2nd July 2009, 10:58 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

do you have any experience with pioneer ?

Im thinking about contacting them later.
Old 3rd July 2009, 11:44 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Another gotcha: you need to pay an iBiquity license fee to build a HD Radio receiver.

Again, you're better off dismantling an existing radio.
Old 26th August 2010, 11:53 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default HD Radio Receiver IC

HD Radio base-band receiver - STMicroelectronics

STA680Q pdf, STA680Q description, STA680Q datasheets, STA680Q view ::: ALLDATASHEET :::
Old 17th September 2010, 11:46 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yeah, that chip will do the demodulation for you. Hardware wise you'll need an RF/IF receiver and an ADC/baseband processor (with suitable oscillator) to feed the digital baseband into that chip.

Biggest hurdle you'll run into is finding code to shove in the SPI flash, ST won't give it away. Your best bet there is to find an existing receiver and rip its SPI code, then sniff the I2C interface to find out how to control the thing.

But I still maintain your best bet is to buy an existing/functional HD Radio receiver and go looking for I2S.
Old 18th September 2010, 03:08 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yea, now instead of being a starving student im a full time student plus full time employee and i have to do clinicals and side mechanic work i dont have time to finish the projects i started (story of peoples life eh?)
Old 18th September 2010, 03:38 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwyarbrough View Post
And if it's like the analog Dolby processing chips, you could get the data sheet but not the chip.

G

Hide this!Advertise here!