denon 3930 pll

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The music streem could go from the main processor through the FPGA and directly to the DAC if im not using the al24 processing.. right?
blocksch.jpg

The AL24 DSP seems to run at 25MHz
Some companies is swapping the 27MHz clock
Some recommends the 24.576 MHz clock!
But if all music media sources is processed by the AL24chip DSP then maybe the 25MHz one is the one!? Sorry for my lack of knowledge, i just get confused when i get three different suggestions from people who knows...
Same block schematic as above but in two parts here, left and right side:
blocksch1.jpg

blocksch2.jpg

I think the 24.576 MHz clock is the most important for audio. With the 27Mhz as second.
But there are a lot of chips with a lot of clocks. A professional modder did them all in the 3910.
If your good with a soldergun buy two or three xo's from tentlabs, build a low noise ps for them and feed the important chips with them. This wil cost you about 100,-/120,- euro

I already bought a clock from Guido Tent with complete PCB.
I will mount it, install some JLH shunts, build a new I/V converter and analoge stage (ZEN I/V from Nelson Pass), and finally add capacitors to various digital chips incl the PLL supply, maybe also lowering the PLL feedback frequency to reduce jitter.

SACD doesn't get the AL24 treatment, it goes straight to the DAC's. Clock for the DSD decoder chip is the 27 MHz via PLL in SM8707 - 33.8688MHz. That is derived from the 27MHZ XTAL via the MN2DS chip...
The 24.576MHz one looks like it is used only for communication via Denon Link (it generates RX4 signals, that is the reverse channel of the DLIII)?

Last edited:
The DSP runs at 25 MHz, it needs to execute some operations in the 192KHz datastream.
25MHz - 24,576MHz is 424kHz
Since 424 kHz is 2,208 times faster than 192 kHz music stream, could that be the spare time where every bit is executed?

Is it logical that the DSP has to run faster than the music stream?

24,576 is 192kHz*7
It´s 7 channels in this player in total, FL FR C SW SL SR MIXL MIXR the two latest is 2 channel direct audio.
Maybee I shall hook up the scope to that PCM1796 dac tomorrow [:)]

The DSP is not running syncron with the datastream, it has internal RAM, software FIRs... It's like approximating the 192kHz signal with some 550-1100 intermediate samples if you want.
The 24.576MHz clock I can see that is only responsable with the RX4 channel from the DenonLink - that is the communication (for encryption of DSD and high res PCM?) from the external DAC (receiver) and also I think the external DAC can send a sync signal thru that so the PLL will lock to the outside clock.
If you don't use Denon Link it doesn't matter (I do with a Denon AVR 3805 receiver).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.