+5v regulator - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st May 2003, 11:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default +5v regulator

what is the best positive (3 pin only ) 5v voltage regulator? i've read about the lt1085, but the website says it is an old model and do not recomend it (??).. are there any better/newer options.

the ones in place now are (3) 78L05's each bypassed by one 47uf electrolytic before and one 47uf plus a 47nf after the regulator...should i replace this caps values? i was planning using oscon the same value ...

the regulator is for the dac chip in a cd player.

m.
Old 2nd May 2003, 01:31 PM   #2
Banned

Thumbs up LM340T5

I like this one.
Old 2nd May 2003, 02:12 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: +5v regulator

Quote:
Originally posted by mekanoplastik
what is the best positive (3 pin only ) 5v voltage regulator? i've read about the lt1085, but the website says it is an old model and do not recomend it (??).. are there any better/newer options.

the ones in place now are (3) 78L05's each bypassed by one 47uf electrolytic before and one 47uf plus a 47nf after the regulator...should i replace this caps values? i was planning using oscon the same value ...

the regulator is for the dac chip in a cd player.

m.
Hi,

For most digital applications, the 7805 is too noisy. For analogue, I do not like their sound.

You may look at the LT1085. I have yet to check the properties.

best regards
Old 2nd May 2003, 02:20 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Re: +5v regulator

Quote:
what is the best positive (3 pin only ) 5v voltage regulator? i've read about the lt1085, but the website says it is an old model and do not recomend it (??)..

They don't recommend it, because availability might be reduced. Othrwise, it's not bad, I'm using it.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 2nd May 2003, 03:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Not to disagree with anyone but I have had excellent results with the 78xx series for different applications. The design criteria that I use is a .01uf ceramic cap at the input and 6 .01uf ceramic caps followed by a 10uf tantulum cap on the output...this provides a very low impedance and the noise is reduced quite alot.

Cheers!!The DIRT®
Old 2nd May 2003, 05:10 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JOE DIRT®
Not to disagree with anyone but I have had excellent results with the 78xx series for different applications. The design criteria that I use is a .01uf ceramic cap at the input and 6 .01uf ceramic caps followed by a 10uf tantulum cap on the output...this provides a very low impedance and the noise is reduced quite alot.

Cheers!!The DIRT®
Joe,

In many digital circuits that is just not low enough. What application do you have, and what is the remaining noise ?

regards
-
Old 2nd May 2003, 05:28 PM   #7
jwb is offline jwb  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jwb
Three terminal only? Discrete regulators are a lot of fun, and you can build them with three pins on one side if you want

Sulzer, Jung, etc.
Old 2nd May 2003, 05:38 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Three terminal only? Discrete regulators are a lot of fun, and you can build them with three pins on one side if you want

---

there is very good info about discrete designs (i already read some) but and i am looking for something easy to implement (im a new with the iron you know ) that is the reason why i am looking for direct replacement (fixed voltage 3 pin) ...there has to be a good 3 pin, 5v regulator for digital aplications somewhere ...eventually i will build something more complicated..

---
I like this one.

i will order some ..thanks
Old 2nd May 2003, 05:49 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There has to be a good 3 pin, 5v regulator for digital aplications somewhere ...eventually i will build something more complicated..

what are your requirements ?
Old 2nd May 2003, 06:28 PM   #10
Raj1 is offline Raj1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default cap values

Hi,

What are the best values of cap to use before and after this regulator, without causing oscillation. ALso what are the best values of cap for the 317T regs?

Thanks
Raj

Hide this!Advertise here!