cdrom pitch - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th June 2009, 09:59 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default cdrom pitch

hy there im sick of trying search this subject but with no results, my question is, is it possible to control the speed "pitch" of regular cdrom player, ive seen cdrom player kits but they seem to dont have that fuction , if someone knows please teel me what do i need to

cheers
Old 11th June 2009, 11:13 AM   #2
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

I never tried it, but in theory this would work: just replace the original crystal to a variable frequency oscillator. Don't expect anything good quality, anyway.
Old 11th June 2009, 11:20 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: cdrom pitch

Quote:
Originally posted by djludovice
hy there im sick of trying search this subject but with no results, my question is, is it possible to control the speed "pitch" of regular cdrom player, ive seen cdrom player kits but they seem to dont have that fuction , if someone knows please teel me what do i need to

cheers

Well, you didn't search very hard!

http://www.supremeaudio.com/CD.htm

shows typical DJ players which do have pitch control.
Old 12th June 2009, 08:27 AM   #4
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Changing the crystal frequency does work with old CD players - I've done it with my old Philips CD-150. Elektor published plans for a pitch control add-on that used a variable frequency oscillator, but it required a board and EPROM that haven't been available for many years. The sensible way to do it now would be with a DDS chip controlled by a microcontroller.

There is CD DJ software that will do the pitch and/or tempo shifting in software.

Hide this!Advertise here!