Suggestions where to send my Rotel RCD-975

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Suggestions where to send my Rotel 975

Hi Ron....If I tilt the player forward, the tray will slide out and will not close when pushed in by hand....It will not play a cd when loaded......I read the other threads but due to an eyesight condition, I would not be able to work on this......Thanks for your time.....

It definitely sounds like the tray gear is broken since the tray just slides out on its own, which is a very common problem and outlined in the link I posted. But I'm not sure why it won't close or play cds.

Have you talked to the person you bought it from about this? Maybe they will take it back and give you a refund?

Otherwise, you could take it in to a local repair shop or send it to Rotel USA and have them check it out. That might be a bit costly though I'm afraid. It is a nice player and I like to think it's worth fixing.

Is there any chance you can take the top cover off, snap a couple pics and post them? The cover is only held on by a few screws and is easy to remove.

Oh by the way, my name is Rod. =)

***EDIT***

I just had a thought. When one of my Rotel's tray gear broke, the tray would not easily close because the broken teeth on the tray gear were jamming against the mating teeth on the tray. I had to give the tray a good push to shut it. Maybe you can try giving the tray a little extra nudge and see if it shuts.

Any suggestions where I might send my Rotel 975

Hi Rod......Sorry I was not more explicit in my description of my 975...The tray will go in when pushed , it just will not stay closed....I exhausted all patience trying to get the seller to work with me on his misrepresentations to no avail....I have talked with Rotel and they can fix it for a steep price but will not do any upgrades.....I was hoping to find someone who could repair it and upgrade at the same time..... I thank you so much for trying to help me....

Skeeter

No problem! But I'm still confused about the tray not closing. If the tray gear is broken completely, then the tray should come out and go in easily with a pull or push, unless the teeth are mashing like I suggested earlier. What exactly happens when you try to close it? Does it come back out on its own?

What exactly happens when you place a cd in the tray, close it and press play? Do you get an error code (Err)? What does the display show? Does the cd spin up and then stop? Put your ear to the player when pressing play and listen for the cd spinning.

I will still try to help as much as I can. If you can still take the cover off and snap some pics of the laser/tray mechanism, it might help us out. Maybe someone in your household could do that if not you?

I will offer to take a look at it for you if you want to ship it out to me, but I have to warn you I'm no expert! I can look at the mechanical parts and verify if they are working ok, minus the laser...I don't have the equipment or know-how to do that. Maybe someone else here is more knowledgeable about this player and will offer some help.

I once repaired one of these for a friend. His arrived packaged in a cornflake box!

There is a plastic tab at the rear of the mech, which prevent the mech from latching closed or moves it out of alignment so the sensor doesn't realise the drawer is closed. This had smapped off on my friends so I superglued it back on.

Still works three years later, and sounds great too. I've never seen so many Black Gate caps in a commercial piece of kit.

Cheers, Lee.

Thank you for your kind offer and I appreciate you trying to help me but I if I do not hear from someone who can repair and upgrade, I will probably stick it in the DOA closet.....As I have an almost new 975 & 971 I bought this one for the sole purpose to upgrade.....

As I am new to the forum I can't PM you yet but I saw that you are into cars and I am also, maybe we can chat about that soon...

Again, thanks for your time and kindness.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.