MicroSD Memory Card Transport Project - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2009, 04:44 PM   #1
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up MicroSD Memory Card Transport Project

Chiaki and Bunpei have made a prototype of gMicroSD Memory Card Transporth. (In the picutre below, you can look at just black margin of the memory card under the PCB board in right hand. Some colored cablings are for I2S signals.)
Click the image to open in full size.
http://www.chiaki.cc/Timpy/images/70-i2s2.jpg
Our tiny MicroSD Memory Card Transport plays 16bit/48KHz WAV files stored on a MicroSD Memory Card (MicroSD in short) and outputs 16bit/48KHz I2S signals to a DAC device. The sound produced by the system is very clear, detailed and natural taste of gpure-audioh quality in spite of its low cost for materials and we are much satisfied with the result.
We believe that a jitter is very little and data processed here are almost bit-perfect though we have not confirmed them by any measurements.
In the transport, a microcontroller of 8bit 8051 architecture, C8051F316 12MHz, with specially developed firmware reads a WAV file on a MicroSD and sends the data to VLSI VS1053b codec chip.
http://www.vlsi.fi/en/products/vs1053.html
VS1053b codec converts the PCM data into I2S signals based on 12.288MHz system clock generated by TXCO, Fox XPRESSO Crystal Oscillator.
http://www.foxonline.com/pdfs/FXO_HC73.pdf
In our case, the I2S output is directly connected to Wolfson WM8741 Evaluation Board.
http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/products/WM8741EV1M/
The reason why we chosen this DAC is the evaluation board provides easy pin headers for a direct I2S input
Click the image to open in full size.
http://www.chiaki.cc/Timpy/images/70-wm8741a.jpg
and the board is easily available from an online shop with a reasonable price.
http://www.profusionplc.com/pro/gex/...o=WM8741GEDS-V

Bunpei proposed the basic idea of connecting the VS1053b I2S output to the WM8741 evaluation board and Chiaki prepared the actual VS1053b-based hardware and the 8051 software by modifying his own prototypes. Bunpei owes this successful implementation to Chiakifs state of art crafting technique for both hardware and software accumulated through his own Timpy (Tiny MP3 Player) projects using VS10xx series and 8051.
http://www.chiaki.cc/Timpy/index.htm ( In Japanese )

The current prototype has a limitation for WAV file quality. It accepts 16bit/48KHz only. We therefore convert a 16bit/44.1KHz WAV file into 48KHz in PC and copy the file into MicroSD media through USB.
Old 20th April 2009, 11:25 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

any chance to buy one?
Old 20th April 2009, 04:59 PM   #3
dddac is offline dddac  Germany
diyAudio Member

Wouldn't it be better, if you want bit perfect playback, to use 44.1kHZ fs in staed of 48kHz ?

All my CD's (ripped) are 44.1 ...

Is your design flexible enough to make it 44.1 ?
Old 20th April 2009, 05:23 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patriz
any chance to buy one?
We have no idea for selling this prototype as of now.
If we get a certain amount of requests, we will consider selling revised ones.

Quote:
Originally posted by dddac
Wouldn't it be better, if you want bit perfect playback, to use 44.1kHZ fs in staed of 48kHz ?
All my CD's (ripped) are 44.1 ...
Is your design flexible enough to make it 44.1 ?
You are right, dddac. Strictly speaking, it's not bit-perfect when we compare the played WAV data in Micro SD with original one in CD.
As a default external clock frequency for VS1053b is 12.288MHz ( 48KHz x 256), we just chose it.
If we use 11.2896MHz crystal, VS1053b can handle 44.1KHz WAV files. We should select just one of them.
Old 21st April 2009, 06:53 PM   #5
Zoran is offline Zoran  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Hi,
first thanks for the great job You gyus did...
I dont want to complain sorry, but,
Yes why 48KHz, 44,1 maybe is better?
and could You perform PCM output?
It will be nice to have it, straight?
for instance to use it with a sabre dac
which is accepting pcm format...
thanks
Old 23rd April 2009, 03:50 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bunpei
As a default external clock frequency for VS1053b is 12.288MHz ( 48KHz x 256), we just chose it.
If we use 11.2896MHz crystal, VS1053b can handle 44.1KHz WAV files. We should select just one of them.
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoran
but,Yes why 48KHz, 44,1 maybe is better?
and could You perform PCM output?It will be nice to have it, straight?
for instance to use it with a sabre dac which is accepting pcm format...
I have to correct what I explained in my previous post.
A support staff of VLSI company pointed out our misunderstanding.
The frequency of the clock injected to VS1053b just confines the sampling rate of I2S LRCLK output.
12.288 MHz -> 48KHz, 11.2896 MHz -> 44.1KHz
Contrarily, even in the case of 12.288 MHz clock, VS1053b can accept 8,16,32,44,1,48KHz WAV files. The chip converts sampling rate (up-samples) automatically and internally.
Hence, our transport can handle WAV files of all the frequencies listed above.

I understand the term "PCM output" means "S/PDIF".
I intended to eliminate a transmitter device for S/PDIF in this experiment. I wanted to try a direct connection via I2S because some people complain an unexpected jitters introduced by the S/PDIF trasmitting- receiving interface.
However, it's true that only a few DAC models provide a raw I2S inerface and this is a big problem.
Old 23rd April 2009, 04:47 PM   #7
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

Could you perhaps kindly explain why you chose the VS1053b together with a microcontroller, instead of using e.g. a dsPIC3x which supports I2S internally and hence has everything in one ?

Examples :

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...05#post1068005
http://www.koonlab.com/UltimateSource.html
Lossless SD-card player

Thx,
Patrick
Old 24th April 2009, 04:03 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EUVL
Could you perhaps kindly explain why you chose the VS1053b together with a microcontroller, instead of using e.g. a dsPIC3x which supports I2S internally and hence has everything in one ?
Actually, I was inspired by Koon Lab's SD Card Player.
The reason why we chose VS1053b instead was that Chiaki had already gotten the combination of 8051 and VS10xx under his thumb. He had been very familiar with programming of those chips. The combination was well-proven technology for him.
Afterward we noticed the following good points of VS1053b.
- Low cost, small size, low power consumption
- Time-critical FIFO buffering mechanism is already implemented in VS1053b
- VS1053b can process various type of sound formats other than WAV
- VS1053b can generate a low-jitter LRWCLK signal
Old 24th April 2009, 04:19 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I hope one day we'll be able to do a direct sonic comparison between yours and Koon's solution. I need a couple of months to build one.

But please keep us posted of your development.

Patrick

PS While the VS1053 has many features (and one can argue whether they are of value), I still have some doubts whether this diversity would (not) compromise of the quality of the I2S output. I am saying this of course with no solid proof but rather pure speculation.
Old 24th April 2009, 04:25 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

A couple more questions :

1) What size of SD card can your solution support ?
2) How about user interfaces -- control buttons, display, remote control, .... ?

I only see 2 push buttons on the first photo.....

Patrick

Hide this!Advertise here!