MicroSD Memory Card Transport Project

To those who are interested in SDTrans384,

Neither Chiaki nor Bunpei has any stock of SDTrans384 now.

Chiaki made his preliminary agreement with a Japanese small audio device vendor, "Tachyon",
Tachyon - SDTrans384 (In Japanese only)
on a possible distribution of SDTrans384.

Tachyon is preparing the next release of SDTrans384. Chiaki will not release it by himself.

However, the company Tachyon has not been starting their actual distribution yet. So their announce is preliminary. No finalized release date is available.
Further more, they have not made any decisions on over-sea sales. (This does not necessarily means they will not handle over-sea distributions.)
I think they may consider over-sea shipping if they get many requests.

According to the web page quoted above, their preliminary pricing is;
1. a bare board (which is equivalent to Chiaki's distribution of the kit)
49,800 JPY (domestic tax included)
2. a board in Tchyon's original casing
69,800 JPY (domestic tax included)

Bunpei

The company Tachyon finally announced a release of SDTrans.
Tachyon - SDTrans384
(In Japanes)

Twenty sets of bare board version will be supplied for users those who have not made reservations yet. Actual shipment is expected to start at the middle or end of November.

Though they say nothing about oversea shipment, please contact to the following e-mail address. They may offer it.

jack <at> mtc <dot> biglobe <dot> ne <dot> jp

Bunpei does not commit to handling of oversea release of SDTrans anymore.

Bunpei

Amazing that the 20 units are already sold out! The SDTRANS384 really is a hit :)

BTW,
DSD recorded music seems to be having an exploding interest among audiofiles. We SDtrans384 users are fortunate that we can play DSD music, and we can even play at 11 MHz sampling rate :D
Here is an interestin article about DSD: So What's the Big Deal About DSD? Listening Notes | AudioStream

/S

Hi, Kris!

Thank you very much for your inquiry. The company, Tachyon, said the latest batch was sold-out. I suppose they might have a plan for the next batch release.
Would you contact to them directly?

Bunpei

SDTrans with ElectrArt's "DSD Principle Board"

Hi, staccatiss,

I appreciated your comment and the link very much.

The picture attached below shows a combination of Chiaki's SDTrans384 and ElectrArt's "DSD Principle Board" which is a simple 8 tap FIR and op-amp based analog filtering circuit designed and dedicated for a DSD play.

Without such commercial DAC chips as ESS ES9018 or TI DSD1794A, I can listen to fine music of DSD sources, ranging from DSD64 to DSD512 by using the ElectrArt's board. His schematic is available here.

When you use SDTrans384 as a DSD player, it supports DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256. (DSD512 is out of scope due to a performance limit of data read out rate from a SD memory card.)

However, I love plays of DSD256 sources converted from PCM by Sony DSD Direct software using SDTrans384 as a transport.

Bunpei

Attachments

• SDTransWithDSDPrinciple.JPG
    SDTransWithDSDPrinciple.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 926
Very neat setup you have! And no DAC - amazing!
I also see in the schematic that there is an isolator used. I think that that is very important to have.
What will improve sonics is to short out the electrolytic caps (C36, C37) in the signal path unless the output signal before the caps has too much DC offset. To use electrolytic caps in the signal path is very very seldom used in high end audio designs.

What OPamps are used?

Looking at your power supply wiring, I think it is far from optimal. The wires are too long and twisting them would also be good. I would actually try to stack the PCBs on top of the huge PP caps for shortest possible power supply wiring.

/S

Hi, staccatiss,

I appreciated your comment and the link very much.

The picture attached below shows a combination of Chiaki's SDTrans384 and ElectrArt's "DSD Principle Board" which is a simple 8 tap FIR and op-amp based analog filtering circuit designed and dedicated for a DSD play.

Without such commercial DAC chips as ESS ES9018 or TI DSD1794A, I can listen to fine music of DSD sources, ranging from DSD64 to DSD512 by using the ElectrArt's board. His schematic is available here.

When you use SDTrans384 as a DSD player, it supports DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256. (DSD512 is out of scope due to a performance limit of data read out rate from a SD memory card.)

However, I love plays of DSD256 sources converted from PCM by Sony DSD Direct software using SDTrans384 as a transport.

Bunpei

Last edited:
What will improve sonics is to short out the electrolytic caps (C36, C37) in the signal path unless the output signal before the caps has too much DC offset. To use electrolytic caps in the signal path is very very seldom used in high end audio designs.

What OPamps are used?

Looking at your power supply wiring, I think it is far from optimal. The wires are too long and twisting them would also be good. I would actually try to stack the PCBs on top of the huge PP caps for shortest possible power supply wiring.

Hi, staccatiss,

I'm sorry for my delayed reply to you.

As for C36 and C37, in my case, after checking output by an oscilloscope, I eliminated them. However, ElectrArt recommend we use them because in the actual situations of playing DSD sources we sometimes unintentionally suffer DC offset output due to malfunction of player software.

The OPamps ElectrArt selected is OPA2134.

As for my cabling of power supply lines, thank you very much for your advice. I should make them short by locating components in multi-floors.

By the way, in Chiaki's web page he shows a picture of his original ES9018 dual mono DAC arranged in a five-storied building!

sdtrans-sync-tower1.jpg

It really reminds us of buildings in Tokyo.
The dark brown eight devices are linear power supply units!
TPA IVY III is connected as a tentative I/V stage for his DAC.

Chiaki's SDTrans-Sync-9018D DAC system

I had a chance to listened to resultant sounds of Chiaki's SDTrans-Sync-9018D DAC system in my environment.
Outputs of ES9018 dual mono (8 channels in parallel at each ES9018) were connected to Feastrex Finemet line transformers.

The sounds were superb!
Both high-resolution and energy existed together.
Seamless plays from 44.1kHz/16 bit to 384kHz/32bit PCM and from DSD64 (both 44.1kHz/48kHz series) to DSD256 without any clicking noises were supported.
It really gives a glimpse of "High-end"!

Chiaki has not made his final decision for a possible release of the DAC board kit yet. Please post your requesting messages here if you are interested in his DAC that is closely integrated with his SDTrans384.

Bunpei

Attachments

• SDTrans-sync-9018D.JPG
    SDTrans-sync-9018D.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 788
The Chiaki-DAC looks awesome!

I would like to know a bit more about it. Is ther maybe a block diagram showing for ex how the clocks are used, and what music inputs and outputs it have, and what power supply on the PCB are used?

/S

I had a chance to listened to resultant sounds of Chiaki's SDTrans-Sync-9018D DAC system in my environment.
Outputs of ES9018 dual mono (8 channels in parallel at each ES9018) were connected to Feastrex Finemet line transformers.

The sounds were superb!
Both high-resolution and energy existed together.
Seamless plays from 44.1kHz/16 bit to 384kHz/32bit PCM and from DSD64 (both 44.1kHz/48kHz series) to DSD256 without any clicking noises were supported.
It really gives a glimpse of "High-end"!

Chiaki has not made his final decision for a possible release of the DAC board kit yet. Please post your requesting messages here if you are interested in his DAC that is closely integrated with his SDTrans384.

Bunpei

Dear staccatiss and Gappone,

I appreciated your hearty greeting messages very much!

This year, Chiaki will release his original DAC board tightly coupled with SDTrans384.
(To staccatiss: I am very sorry that I have not shown the diagram here you requested. I have not observed his DAC well enough.)

My concern still remaining since the last year is,
"Are all the users of SDTrans Sync-option satisfied with the expensive option? Could they integrated the board with their own DACs?"
If any of you need a support, please send me a private e-mail or post your issues here.

I wish you a happy audio hobby!

Best regards,
Bunpei