MicroSD Memory Card Transport Project

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Chiaki has his consideration on three plans.

1. Release of DSD covering upgraded firmware & FPGA configuring EEPROM for domestic SDTrans384 users
In Japan he has started the release for volunteered users. This upgrade requires no hardware modification on the board.
(You may need changes in wiring for interconnection to your DAC.
I2S_______DSD
MCLK_____MCLK
DCLK_____DCLK
LRCK_____DSDR
SDAT_____DSDL
)
You can play DSD64, DSD128 & DSD256 DSDIFF format files.
After quality assurance checking by domestic users is completed, we will announce an upgrading plan for oversea users. The upgrade is not free.

2. Release of SDTrans384 V3.0 board kit
Chiaki has a draft plan of releasing totally 30 pieces in the next batch.
The number of sets assigned for an oversea distribution will be around ten.
The price may be raised in a reasonable range because DSD play functionality is added.
Please wait for our announce in the next year. The timing will be in the near future.

3. Making of release version of Sync-option for SDTrans384 V3.0
The option consists two modules.
One is a sub board attached to SDTrans and another is a small board connected to ES9018 based DAC board. The DAC side board has two oscillator devices for master clocking, 90.3168 & 98.304 MHz on ES9018. The oscillators are made by NDK(Nippon Denpa Kogyo) and very expensive. They require a long delivery period, about 3 months.
The board must be compatible for TPA Buffalo II and III.
However, the price expected is far expensive than the base price of DACs.
Chiaki has a concern to demand for such a board.
We need your frank opinions on your demands.

Bunpei

Dear Bunpei,
I wish you and Chaki Happy New Year.

I'm interested in option 1 and 3.
Thank you.

What is the difference between 3. and the way it is connected in the photo?

Hi, staccatiss! A happy new year!

I'd like to explain SDTrans384+Sync option more.

First, the option targets ESS ES9018 DAC chip only.
Two oscillators generating a synchronous master clock for the ES9018 are located on a sub board attached near to the DAC chip.
The master clock signal, 90.3168 MHz (44.1 kHz x 2048) or 98.304 MHz (48 kHz x 2048) is forked into two ways. One is fed to ES9018 directly and another is sent back to SDTrans via a LVDS line included in a HDMI cable.

In the SDTrans side, another interfacing sub-board is attached. The sub-board receives the master clock signal and divides it by 4. The divided signal is compatible with the conventional master clock signal in SDTrans.
SDTrans runs based on the master clock and send I2S or DSD signals to the sub-board in the DAC side via LVDS line on HDMI cable.

The frequency of the master clock is switched by a logic circuit on the DAC side sub-board under the remote commands sent from SDTrans side via an I2C line included in the HDMI cable.

On the other hand, in the case of conventional synchronous master clocking scheme on SDTrans, 90.3168 MHz (44.1 kHz x 2048) or 98.304 MHz (48 kHz x 2048) master clock is generated from oscillator of 22.5792 MHz (44.1 kHz x 512) or 24.576 MHz (48 kHz x 512) within SDTrans using DPLL multiplier function implemented on FPGA. The master clock signal is sent from SDTrans to the DAC.

Chiaki assumed that quality of a master clock signal directly obtained from oscillator module must be better than that obtained by a DPLL multiplier.

I wish my description helps your understanding.

Bunpei

... Rough indication of price would be useful:note::t_ache:. ...

... I would also like to be added to the overseas list. ...

Hi, johnYks and randytsuch,

Thank you very much for your interest.
When we think of a custom clearance procedure in some countries, it's not a good idea to show prices in Google-searchable areas.

Would you drop me a requesting e-mail to my internet e-mail address?
bunpei<at>ta2<dot>so-net<dot>ne<dot>jp
As soon as I confirm Chiaki's plan and estimate, I will let you know.

Bunpei

Last edited:
Since FLAC is an open source effort and it is widely used, are you planning for support at later time? If no, is there a technical reason for not supporting it?

Our basic policy is "Establishing a bit-perfect play", "Simplicity brings a good result" and "Use PC for complicated (noise-generating) processing beforehand".
The MCU of 8bit C8051 architecture has no power to decode a FLAC.
Instead, 384kHz/32bit PCM and DSD256 can be played.

Our basic policy is "Establishing a bit-perfect play", "Simplicity brings a good result" and "Use PC for complicated (noise-generating) processing beforehand".
The MCU of 8bit C8051 architecture has no power to decode a FLAC.
Instead, 384kHz/32bit PCM and DSD256 can be played.

So I guess I could just use the batch converter of dbPowerAmp and convert all files to WAV

Can you PM me for pricing on option 2-3?

Thanks
Do

I met Chiaki yesterday and he finalized his plan of the next release.
As for prices, please send your quote request by e-mail to my internet e-mail address with your real name, your country and a preference of delivery method (EMS, small parcel without tracking or insurance, Fedex, etc.).
(To Those whom already sent it to me by internet e-mails I will send my answer soon. Any request via PM on this forum can't be accepted and no answers will be sent via PM on this forum.)

1. Release of DSD covering upgraded firmware & FPGA configuring EEPROM for domestic SDTrans384 users
If you send back the ROM chip to me, we will send it again to you with the new FPGA configuration. No upgrade charge is required. However, shipping charge and PayPal handling charge are requested.
When you want to buy an additional ROM chip where the new configuration is stored, we can sell it to you.

2. Release of SDTrans384 V3.0 board kit
Chiaki will assign 10 - 15 pieces for overseas users. The delivery will be expected at the end of March or beginning of April tentatively. A price up comparing to the previous PCM play only version is planned.

3. Making of release version of Sync-option for SDTrans384 V3.0
Assignment of about 5 pieces for overseas users. The price of two additional sub boards is approximately x 1.5 of the SDTrans main unit. The major reason is that the option uses very expensive NDK low phase noise oscillators.
A delivery of this option will be expected tentatively at the end of April or beginning of May.

SDHC 64GB ?

Compatible input media is SD/SDHC/MicroSD/MicroSDHC.
(Maximum size is 32GB)

Bunpei

@ Bunpei-san,

My I kindly suggest the option for a final product of the newcomming SD Trans a possibility to have
included already in this release the ability to reading the widely available 64GB SDHC cards to overcome
the relatively small storage capacity of 32 GB medium.
If for eg. it is to be used for a native DSDIFF 128 X playback only, then 32GB storage is enough
for some 6 hours of music storage only, . .
Please read this as, I speak only for My-Self, and I already closed the case of ever using for
my personal Soul Pleasure any other lower res. files than current DSDIFF 128 X, so I already
stop using all the other FILES TYPE STANDARDS . . .
(EXCEPT PURE ANALOG MASTER TAPEs and VINYL media)
ALL the REST SAMPLING RATES become for me obsolete & from now on only a "must use" in the emergency case only!).
As I already daily use 64GB SDHC and CF cards and while there isn't possible option for using
higher capacity SSD HDDs from 128 GB till 1TB then this would be really great adoption right now from
the start for extended playing time with best currently avail.
media sources . . . with this new-coming master piece of Mr. Chikai-san.

:)

Ps.
@ Bunpei-san You got mail,

@ Turbon check your PM,