Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

MicroSD Memory Card Transport Project
MicroSD Memory Card Transport Project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2016, 09:13 AM   #921
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Blackburn, Lancs
MicroSD Memory Card Transport Project
Quote:
Originally Posted by formatcd3 View Post
Simple answer is yes. SSD would sound different compared to HDD and, for example, different SSDs might also sound different. There are a lot of reports and discussions out there about this topic.

As an example of what could influence the sound quality is media generated vibration. SSD compared to a spinning HDD generates no vibration of its own. It is likely as well that these devices in turn have different sensitivity to external vibration and vibration isolation as well.

To expand on your question - how reproduction of the same music files, all other things beeing equal, stored on SSD would differ from SD cards. From pure mechanical point of view I would expect SSD to be superior as it has higher mass, hence potentially it is less sensitive to external vibration.

NB Vibration in audio is a bitch.
How would the miniscule vibration of a HDD affect the audio?
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 09:18 AM   #922
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Blackburn, Lancs
MicroSD Memory Card Transport Project
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmcinnis View Post
formatcd4,




I had found the biggest advantage from linear supplies was powering the CPU. It is by far the noisiest thing on the board; separating it from the powering of the other rails is probably the biggest advantage. The video card relieves the CPU of video duty. It is an old card, you want one with minimal onboard memory - mine is 256K - I would like one with 128K but could not find one. I think I paid twenty dollars for the thing many years ago.
How, CPUs tend to have more4 than one voltage...
Also how does a linear supply cure one of the biggest source of noise, simultaneous switching noise...
I do have experience of digital gear powered by both linear and SMPS and the SMPS won, simply because it generated less overall noise especially lower frequency noise that could have more of an influence on the audio.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 09:25 AM   #923
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Blackburn, Lancs
MicroSD Memory Card Transport Project
Quote:
Originally Posted by formatcd3 View Post
Forget it. Not from me. I have done enough to discover it myself over many years through listening to different systems privately, attending shows and demo's.

So if you are sincerely interested in the topic in order to rip the potential benefits prepare yourself for a long jorney. There will be no free lunch here and you will need to spend time and effort to make your own discoveries. You will only believe your own ears, that's at least how it works for me.

You do not need to wait, however, to meet your local dealer to test isolation platforms or feet or to attend the next CES show. Just use some suitable materials at hand in your house to isolate your CD player, DAC, or your power distribution device. Put a bag of sand on top of any of these devices and listen. You might be up for a surprise.

NB Apologies if you already know all of that.
Having worked on high vibration configurations with audio and seen the results of vibration tests I would be interested in any data you have because we did not notice any real problems at vibration levels you would never see in a domestic environment. Using a computer in a domestic environment is probably the best way to avoid any effects vibration may have on the playback system...
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 09:38 AM   #924
formatcd3 is offline formatcd3  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by marce View Post
How would the miniscule vibration of a HDD affect the audio?
In this context I meant that vibration generated by a spinning HDD would affect other components and circuitry of the device where it is installed.

One would also prefer to remove a fan for this reason, if possible.

Last edited by formatcd3; 16th May 2016 at 10:00 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 09:49 AM   #925
formatcd3 is offline formatcd3  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by marce View Post
Having worked on high vibration configurations with audio and seen the results of vibration tests I would be interested in any data you have because we did not notice any real problems at vibration levels you would never see in a domestic environment. Using a computer in a domestic environment is probably the best way to avoid any effects vibration may have on the playback system...
This topic (influence of vibration on SQ of audio systems) has been widely and deeply discussed since very long ago. A lot of designs aimed to mitigate the vibration have been produced and implemented in different commercial products both in active and passive components, both in digital and analogue, both in signal and power cabling, etc.

And it is important not only to isolate audio components from external sources of vibration but also to drain vibration energy generated or stored in these components. What is a big challange to achieve these two objectives at the same time in the same system.

I think the best way to dive into this vast area is to explore some online sources that discuss this on much more professional (and exciting) level than I could do.

This one might explain some points http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/vibration.html

Or this one http://www.mother-of-tone.com/vibration.htm

Last edited by formatcd3; 16th May 2016 at 10:15 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 12:04 PM   #926
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Blackburn, Lancs
MicroSD Memory Card Transport Project
I disagree that the miniscule HDD vibrations (and they are SMALL in a working HDD) are going to have any effect compared to a SDD..
As to the rest I believe like many things in audio, vibration and its effects are taken to the limit, with no measurements...
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 02:39 PM   #927
formatcd3 is offline formatcd3  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by marce View Post
I disagree that the miniscule HDD vibrations (and they are SMALL in a working HDD) are going to have any effect compared to a SDD..
As to the rest I believe like many things in audio, vibration and its effects are taken to the limit, with no measurements...
There is no argument we all have the right to have our own opinion. Did you read the articles, however?
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 03:21 PM   #928
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by formatcd3 View Post
Did you read the articles, however?
They were quite amusing. One was clearly a marketing blurb for snake oil products, and the other was based on the wonderful justification of "Well, as we all remember, mechanical vibration can have an effect on a turntable. If you jump on the floor, the needle may also jump out of the groove."

Yes, if you drop a microphone on the floor you will hear a sound too. Enough said?
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 03:22 PM   #929
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Blackburn, Lancs
MicroSD Memory Card Transport Project
Yes I have read them and have pondered this in the past over many years. Like all things in audio I think there are certain limits where doing more provides no more results and time is spent on another aspect... And here we differ because todays hard drives are excellent and have little vibration and if mounted correctly using AV mounts (or not) in a PC will not be any worse (or better) than SSDs.
The vibration work I did was for vehicle communications systems where the vibration is HIGH and the background ambient noise can be 110dB, far higher than a domestic situation and the signal quality did not suffer... Done even higher vibration stuff and again the signal quality is unaffected to a great degree by the huge amounts of vibration, in fact just now I am cutting out a paper model of a flex-rigid PCB....

Last edited by marce; 16th May 2016 at 03:27 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 03:26 PM   #930
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by formatcd3 View Post
This topic (influence of vibration on SQ of audio systems) has been widely and deeply discussed since very long ago.
The fact that some people (and some vendors of snake oil products) keep ranting about it doesn't make something true.
Any pointers to actual scientific findings?

Quote:
And it is important not only to isolate audio components from external sources of vibration but also to drain vibration energy generated or stored in these components.
Nothing a couple of magic crystals won't solve...

Quote:
I think the best way to dive into this vast area is to explore some online sources that discuss this on much more professional (and exciting) level than I could do.
Reading those links I realize you must have a very interesting definition of "professional".
  Reply With Quote

Reply


MicroSD Memory Card Transport ProjectHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Usb Memory Stick/flash Card sdman Digital Line Level 5 5th September 2009 01:37 PM
FS: AMD 1 GHz CPU, motherboard, 256MB RAM, video card, power supply, network card Jimmy154 Swap Meet 0 14th June 2006 08:15 PM
My CD-Transport project YENFU Digital Source 17 24th September 2005 05:27 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:25 AM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.00%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio
Wiki