MicroSD Memory Card Transport Project - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2009, 09:04 PM   #81
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: italy
Here is a link to 24/96 wav free download nin.com [download]- the slip
I'm curious to know from some sd transport's owner if they can play it
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 05:29 PM   #82
elecon is offline elecon  Japan
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tokyo
Playing the SDTrans192 that I recently purchased from Bunpei & Chiaki as I write this. Using 4 x 1.5 volt batteries for the power. The sound is completely awsome & fantastic, not only from 24bit/192kHz 2L.no files, but also from regular WAV files carefully ripped with EAC. It is a HUGE improvement from playing the CDs with the same music (even though I own a SONY SCD-DR1 that I use with a Grimm Audio CC-1 clock (using internal DAC), and sometimes also with Chord or Weiss separate DAC). Right now the DAC I use with the SDTrans192 is the Chord64.

I personally think that the biggest improvement is in the playback of well prepared files from flash memory into a very good DAC and that it is not necessary to focus too much on how many bits at what frequency.

However it is of course also interesting to listen to high-bit, high-frequency files ;-)

May take up giolight's challenge and download & play the nine inch nails files.... :-)
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 06:14 PM   #83
Account disabled at member's request
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Multiple...
I agree with you that regular 16bit/44.1kHz files plays very very very good,
but on my system it plays very much better every time I step up the bits or the frequency.
I think you need a set of AMT fullrange speakers to get the resolution I have :-)
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 11:46 PM   #84
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: italy
Hi Bunpei , how do you connect your sd transport to the wolfson wm871 ev. board, spdif, I2S?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2009, 02:36 AM   #85
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by giolight View Post
Hi Bunpei , how do you connect your sd transport to the wolfson wm871 ev. board, spdif, I2S?
In my case, I always use I2S because I bought the evaluation board for the purpose.

Bunpei
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2009, 04:06 AM   #86
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
To elecon and RayCTech,

Thank you very much for your comments.

Chiaki has started making a new version of PCB and modifying C8051 firmware and FPGA programming. Our objectives are;

1. Challenge to high performance - accepting higher sampling rate
2. Better sound quality for basic 44.1 kHz / 16 bit audio files

The objective 1 is expected to be achieved by improving the current firmware and FPGA program commonly for the current and new version of PCB.
The objective 2 is expected to be accomplished mainly by improving the basic circuit design of the new version of PCB.

We will announce a release of new kit next year.
We have a few reservations from users of this thread as of now and those requests will be assigned to the new kit.

Bunpei
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 01:24 PM   #87
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgazal View Post
Have you already tried DXD 24bits/352.8khz?
1 Gb files at High Resolution Music DOWNLOAD services!
I know DXD 11.2896 Mbit/s data rate is too high, but I would like to know if it is feasible.
We got an ESS 9018 2 CH Evaluation Kit at our hands and Chiaki will challenge playing 352.8 kHz / 24 bit DXD audio files. Those audio files were downloaded from the 2L site and their WAVE header parts were simplified.
The DAC chip ESS 9018 that RayCTech seems to have his complete control over is really a marvelous LSI. It does accept I2S signals of up to 500 kHz fs with 8 x over sampling mode!

Bunpei
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 12:27 AM   #88
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Default 352.8 kHz / 24 bit DXD play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunpei View Post
We got an ESS 9018 2 CH Evaluation Kit at our hands and Chiaki will challenge playing 352.8 kHz / 24 bit DXD audio files. Those audio files were downloaded from the 2L site and their WAVE header parts were simplified.
The DAC chip ESS 9018 that RayCTech seems to have his complete control over is really a marvelous LSI. It does accept I2S signals of up to 500 kHz fs with 8 x over sampling mode!i
Chiaki succeeded in playing a 352.8 kHz /24 bit DXD audio file with a combination of his SDTrans192, specially tuned version, and ESS Technology's ES9018 2CH evaluation kit. However, due to a clock crystal frequency limitation of the DAC board, he has just confirmed the play on "NOS" (No over sampling, skipping a built-in FIR filter) mode setting of the DAC chip. He will replace the crystal with one with an adequate frequency and try on 8 x over sampling mode soon.

I think he should change the model name "SDTrans192" to "SDTrans352.8"!

Bunpei
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 07:27 AM   #89
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunpei View Post
Chiaki succeeded in playing a 352.8 kHz /24 bit DXD audio file with a combination of his SDTrans192, specially tuned version, and ESS Technology's ES9018 2CH evaluation kit. However, due to a clock crystal frequency limitation of the DAC board, he has just confirmed the play on "NOS" (No over sampling, skipping a built-in FIR filter) mode setting of the DAC chip. He will replace the crystal with one with an adequate frequency and try on 8 x over sampling mode soon.

I think he should change the model name "SDTrans192" to "SDTrans352.8"!

Bunpei
Great!!!
what do you mean as "specially tuned" ? just some more decoupling capacitors or new firmware?
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 02:56 PM   #90
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by giolight View Post
Great!!!
what do you mean as "specially tuned" ? just some more decoupling capacitors or new firmware?
Both new firmware for C8051 and new FPGA program.
No hard circuit change is required.
Bunpei
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Usb Memory Stick/flash Card sdman Digital Line Level 5 5th September 2009 02:37 PM
FS: AMD 1 GHz CPU, motherboard, 256MB RAM, video card, power supply, network card Jimmy154 Swap Meet 0 14th June 2006 09:15 PM
My CD-Transport project YENFU Digital Source 17 24th September 2005 06:27 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:31 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2