Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2009, 09:26 AM   #51
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: italy
It is quite some time that the 192trans is playng in my system, now I can post some more insight opinion. The 192trans is quite a costy $360 board shipping included then you need a box and a power supply, I compared it with my usual cd player that is a Sony esd557 used as transport only, it is old but the mechanic of this unit is the best drive made by Sony and used by many upmarket brand. The cds I used for listening session were ripped with Eac in accurate mode, every ripping take a lenghty 15 minutes with my pc (four year old) but I wanted the most accurate result as possible. The 192trans is housed in hifi2000 23x17cm box and powered by a 5v Jung superegulator. Cd and 192trans are connected to a 4397dac.
The music played included all genre jazz, classical, pop. The sdhc player is very very different from the cd player, my first impression are confirmed the 192trans open a new window in digital music . His strenght are : solid image, exceptional naturality, harmonics richness, lifelike dinamics. In a quartet music each instrument is so naturally different and recognisible as never been before. Complex music is easily followed and enjoied. Only now I can hear how the cdplayer sound is boxed and artificial . The initial investment is largely rewarded , this board is actually a bargain in term of dollars for sound quality
But there are area of improvement as well, first in the software infact the board most of the time doen't see the tracks sequence as in the original cd, and I can't understand the logic it uses . This problem is overcome by Eac ripping the cd as image but in this way I can't surf throw the tracks.
Second the bass is very good but I'd like a better control, it make an image a bit too large.
In conclusion, 192trans is now my main digital source and I really want to thank you Bunpei and Chiaki for made this possible and their contribution in making a big step in music enjoiment
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 02:06 PM   #52
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Hi all,

Forgive me the dumb question, but could somebody explain me the rationale behind the SD memory music source? I mean no music can be purchased on such media in the music stores. Perhaps it will in the future as SD will become cheap. But today the primary medium is CD, so one has the option of a) either buy the music on CD (but then what is the point of copying it to SD card? To make it portable without the quality degradation of MP3?) or b) borrow it from someone (then the copyright is breached BTW). In either case, one needs an intermediate step (and time) to rip the music onto the hard disk of a PC, then copy it from the hard disk onto the SD card. Or did I miss something? Is there a purpose-built hardware to copy the CD onto SD card in one quick step?
Excuse me again if the answers are evident for all but myself.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 03:13 PM   #53
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by giolight View Post
But there are area of improvement as well, first in the software infact the board most of the time doen't see the tracks sequence as in the original cd, and I can't understand the logic it uses . This problem is overcome by Eac ripping the cd as image but in this way I can't surf throw the tracks.
Second the bass is very good but I'd like a better control, it make an image a bit too large.
In conclusion, 192trans is now my main digital source and I really want to thank you Bunpei and Chiaki for made this possible and their contribution in making a big step in music enjoiment
Chiaki and Bunpei much appreciated and enjoyed giolight's evaluation report. Thank you very much for the posting.
Chiaki is improving the software for human interface now. We will let you know when a firmware update is ready in the near future.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 03:47 PM   #54
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by oshifis View Post
Hi all,
but could somebody explain me the rationale behind the SD memory music source?
The first concept at the beginning of this project was;
"How can we provide audio data to DAC with a bit perfect manner and with minimum jitters? Establishing a simple path by eliminating devices involved as possible." One solution is a SD Memory Card transport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshifis View Post
I mean no music can be purchased on such media in the music stores. Perhaps it will in the future as SD will become cheap.
In Japan, a young female singer, Mai Kuraki released her recent album in such multiple media, CD/MicroSD Memory Card/USB Memory/MiniDisc(MD)/LP/Cassette Tape. Of course, this is an experimental approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshifis View Post
But today the primary medium is CD, so one has the option of a) either buy the music on CD (but then what is the point of copying it to SD card? To make it portable without the quality degradation of MP3?) or b) borrow it from someone (then the copyright is breached BTW). In either case, one needs an intermediate step (and time) to rip the music onto the hard disk of a PC, then copy it from the hard disk onto the SD card. Or did I miss something?
I think SD/MicroSD Memory Card media can be compared to iPod. Anyway, both require PC.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2009, 06:01 PM   #55
Account disabled at member's request
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Multiple...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunpei View Post
Chiaki is improving the software for human interface now. We will let you know when a firmware update is ready in the near future.
Any news regarding the new firmware?
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 09:11 AM   #56
diyAudio Member
 
soundcheck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: DUS
Hi there.

Bunpei, did you ever consider a digital volume control for your device? That would make it IMO a complete solution.


Cheers
__________________
::: Squeezebox Touch Toolbox and more ::: by soundcheck
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 11:20 AM   #57
diyAudio Member
 
mikesnowdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
A bit expensive @ 350USD...

Have you considered making a conventional through hole board for this project that the average DIY'er could easily assemble? Obviously some of he parts need to be SMT so you could provide a part assembled board for a much reduced price

Its a great product by the way
__________________
www.drugfreeworld.org
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 01:11 AM   #58
jgazal is offline jgazal  Brazil
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
Hi there.
Bunpei, did you ever consider a digital volume control for your device? That would make it IMO a complete solution.
Cheers
Isn't I2C connection already planned to add a volume microcontroller? Is it the firmware ready to this function?

Soundcheck, some DAC's have this option already (i.e. TPA Buffalo 32 bits, via I2C plus “volumite” microcontroller). You could use all them together.

Bunpei, have you considered designing a SDHC transport that streams back DSD (from DFF/ DSDIFF/DSF files)? It would be terrific!
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 09:30 AM   #59
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCtech View Post
Any news regarding the new firmware?
We are sorry to say that no new remarkable improvements on human interface are achieved yet. Chiaki is very busy for his own business at this time of the year. The firmware is coded in an assembly language of 8051 CPU. This is also one of reasons that modifications are not easy.
Instead, Chiaki made some basic improvements for firmware updating and WAV header interpretations.

Bunpei
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 09:40 AM   #60
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
Hi there.
Bunpei, did you ever consider a digital volume control for your device? That would make it IMO a complete solution.
Cheers
When we think of "a digital volume control", two approaches are possible.
1. This player outputs volume cntrolled PCM data.
On this point, we can't do this because our CPU 8051 has no enough power to achieve this.
2. This player outputs I2C commands for controling an external DAC device.
It might be possible if we could target such a specific DAC chip as WM8741.

I hope "soundcheck" will understand these difficulties well.

Bunpei
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Usb Memory Stick/flash Card sdman Digital Line Level 5 5th September 2009 01:37 PM
FS: AMD 1 GHz CPU, motherboard, 256MB RAM, video card, power supply, network card Jimmy154 Swap Meet 0 14th June 2006 08:15 PM
My CD-Transport project YENFU Digital Source 17 24th September 2005 05:27 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:07 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2