MicroSD Memory Card Transport Project - Page 58 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th February 2013, 10:01 PM   #571
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member

Hi, bikerboy,

I'd like to recommend you use simple batteries in the first step.
In the next step, the easiest and effective way might be an application of Texas Instrument TPS7A4700 evaluation board.

Bunpei
Old 4th March 2013, 06:01 AM   #572
diyAudio Member

Default SDTrans384

I got the Sdtrans384 working. It is powered by 4 c cells. I tried 3 but the LCD wasn't visible. I have the I2S output connected to a TPA Teleporter. I am listening to 16/44 for the most part. I have some of my own vinyl rips that are 24/192 so will need to get some high res files to check out what it can really do. It sounds really nice. Very full sounding, like sacd. Great job on the excellent digital source. Thanks guys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0192.jpg (566.5 KB, 646 views)
Old 4th March 2013, 03:56 PM   #573
diyAudio Member

I am using a fully discrete series regulator, 500mA, that is being fed by a good raw power supply and a toroid transformer. I think this is better than batteries. Batteries are noisy and do not have low output impedance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
Hi,
I just received shipping confirmation of my SD Trans from Tachyon. I hope to have it soon! Can anyone point to a great ps scematic to use with it?
Old 4th March 2013, 04:06 PM   #574
CeeVee is offline CeeVee  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Feeding mine from a Salas BIB and the sound is exquisite indeed.
Even using the SPDIF output and CD level signal 44.1K 16 bit.
Old 7th March 2013, 12:08 PM   #575
diyAudio Member

My 5V psu for sdtrans is the same as CeeVee, too

In my experience, very good 5V PSU and PPS bypass capacitor mod was big step forward...
Old 8th March 2013, 01:02 AM   #576
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktk_smile View Post
My 5V psu for sdtrans is the same as CeeVee, too

In my experience, very good 5V PSU and PPS bypass capacitor mod was big step forward...
And pay attention to reducing or eliminating common mode noise.
Old 9th March 2013, 12:49 AM   #577
diyAudio Member

Default SDTrans384

I replaced the batteries with a TPA Placid and it sounds much better. I looked into getting the TI TPS7A4700 evaluation board that Bunpei suggested but it requires hotair mounting the smd parts. I haven't done that before and dont have the tools to do that. Any schematics for a really good regulator I can solder?
What are people doing for a case? The face looks like it needs a thin material to make the card slot easy to use and needs to let the leds be viewable.
Has anyone got a remote set up to contol their SDTrans384?
How long can the I2S wires be before there are issues. I am connecting to a Teleporter so it isnt too hard to setup but it would be good to know how far back to the back panel.
I will get the PPS caps from Bunpei to improve the sound.
This thing is a real step up from the shigaclone cdp I was using before.
Thank you again for the great SD player.
Old 9th March 2013, 04:51 AM   #578
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member

Hi, SDTrans384 users and those who are interested in a SDTrans384 board kit!

When you want to know its availability or its price, please contact to Mr. Yamazaki of Tachyon in Japan by e-mail. His address is;
jack<at>mtc<dot>biglobe<dot>ne<dot>jp
The second batch released by them was sold out last month. He will accept a reservation for the next batch.

If you want to get technical details in English or you want to purchase some components only available in Japan, please send your usual e-mail to me.
bunpei<at>ta2<dot>so-net<dot>ne<dot>jp
(Please do not use PM on this forum for this purpose. I appreciate your real name.)

Anyway, I was much pleased with recent posts by SDTrans users.

To bikerboy,
As for TI TPS7A4700 evaluation board, it is a finished product of 20 USD/each including Fedex fee. You do not have to solder the chip at all.
Some Japanese DIY audio hobbyists are distributing bare board kits for the regulator. Users of those boards say they can deal with the chip by using a usual solder and a soldering iron though a good soldering skill is required.

Tachyon is considering a possible distribution of optional remote control unit for SDTrans.
Bunpei and some other users in Japan developed their own remote control receiver by using an Arduino micro-controller board, Apple IR remote and modified Hifi-duino code.

Please keep the length of I2S wiring as short as possible. The maximum allowable length depends on the fs of your source. If the length is more than 10 cm or 4 inches, it's good to use such a LVDS extension method as TPA Teleporter.

I hope you enjoy music with SDTrans!

Last edited by Bunpei; 9th March 2013 at 04:54 AM.
Old 9th March 2013, 05:16 PM   #579
CeeVee is offline CeeVee  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunpei View Post
As for TI TPS7A4700 evaluation board, it is a finished product of 20 USD/each including Fedex fee. You do not have to solder the chip at all.
Some Japanese DIY audio hobbyists are distributing bare board kits for the regulator. Users of those boards say they can deal with the chip by using a usual solder and a soldering iron though a good soldering skill is required.....
I have two of those...will try in comparison with Salas BIB..will let you know subjective results .
Old 11th March 2013, 10:12 PM   #580
diyAudio Member

Hello Bunpei
some low cost ideas.
Thanks a lot for you help.
SD trans is fantastic!
Ciao
Guglielmo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SEN+DACp 007.jpg (79.0 KB, 476 views)
File Type: jpg SEN+DACp 009.jpg (152.6 KB, 451 views)
File Type: jpg SEN+DAC p010.jpg (182.0 KB, 437 views)
File Type: jpg SEN+DAC p006.jpg (75.8 KB, 380 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!