Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

MicroSD Memory Card Transport Project
MicroSD Memory Card Transport Project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th May 2012, 09:49 PM   #481
jgwtriode is offline jgwtriode  United States
diyAudio Member

Oops the aune....
Old 30th May 2012, 11:49 PM   #482
emuman100 is offline emuman100  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't have any high resolution music. All of my music is on regular CD. The music I like is hard to find anyway, and never popular enough for high resolution mastering. I like to keep all my CDs as "master copies", trying to keep them clean and pristine. I ripped them with cdparanoia. The only high resolution copy I found of my CDs is Neil Young's After the Goldrush album in HDCD, but I have my doubts about HDCD.
Old 31st May 2012, 12:00 AM   #483
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

i'm not talking about just high res, even with 44.1 at 256-320kb mp3 I would fill up the largest sd card several times over, let alone the mix of 320kb, flac/alac and wav + hires I have. so you either dont have much music, dont use uncompressed, or both. high res would fill up an SD in 10-15 albums, so I wasnt even going there.
Old 31st May 2012, 12:02 AM   #484
jgwtriode is offline jgwtriode  United States
diyAudio Member

You will love the qls then....at about 1/3 price of the sd transport. Ver. 2 is a bit better. Check the reviews out. The aune does flac and higher resolution but is a lot more money.
Old 2nd June 2012, 01:28 PM   #485
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member

Default Configuring TPA Buffalo III input wiring as Buffalo II compatible

SDTrans384 is designed to output I2S and DSD signals on the same pin set based on the source audio file type, PCM WAV or DSD DFF.
In the case of PCM, on output pins; 1 LRCK, 3 SDAT, 5 DCLK of CN8; I2S signals appear. These can be wired to D1, D2, DCK of TPA Buffalo II, respectively.
In the case of DSD, Left-channel DSD Data on 1 LRCK pin, Right-channel DSD Data on 3 SDAT pin and DSD Clock on 5 DCLK pin of CN8. This signal assignment is compatible to the DSD input signal assignment of Buffalo II without any wiring change.
Therefore, we recommend the use of "Buffalo II compatible input wiring configuration" even on your Buffalo III as far as you use not multi-channel but stereo input.

The "Buffalo II compatible input wiring configuration" on Buffalo III means;
1. Shunt both JDSD1 and JDSD2 jumper positions
(DATA1-DATA5 and DATA2-DATA6 interconnections)
2. Wire D4 and D6 throughholes at the card edge
(DATA2-DATA4-DATA6 interconnection)
3. Set SW2-8 ON
(Input remapping of DAC1-DAC3, DAC5-DAC7, DAC2-DAC4, DAC6-DAC8 enabled)

You can listen both PCM WAV and DSD DFF audio files seamlessly on both Buffalo II and Buffalo III.
Old 2nd June 2012, 03:36 PM   #486
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwtriode View Post
You will love the qls then....at about 1/3 price of the sd transport. Ver. 2 is a bit better. Check the reviews out. The aune does flac and higher resolution but is a lot more money.
seen the reviews, its really a pretty crappy layout, even mods cannot really save it IMO. so I would find it hard to buy. I also have no need for it when fifo decouples the i2s stream so well its much more convenient to use my mac. the sdtrans is in another league as far as layout goes compared to the QLS, but you do pay for it
Old 6th June 2012, 12:57 AM   #487
emuman100 is offline emuman100  United States
diyAudio Member

For the prototypes using the Cirrus Logic CS8406 for S/PDIF transmission, was the device in hardware or software mode? Reason I ask is that if the player is playing a wav file with a 16 bit sample length and a 44.1kHz sample rate, does the I2S standard allow for this or will the player add 8 zeros to the 16 bit sample to make it a 24 bit sample. I read that I2S uses only 24 bit samples.

Thank you.
Old 6th June 2012, 02:09 PM   #488
diyAudio Member

Hi, emuman100,

I assume your questions were directed to SDTrans.

On SDTrans384, CS8406 is set in software mode and controlled from MCU via I2C.
The FPGA outputs serial data and clock signals toward both CS8406 and I2S pin header simultaneously. For the I2S lines, the FPGA always outputs 32bit SDAT/channel, padding 0 or 1 trailer in the case of 16/24 bit. For the CS8406 line, the same method is used.
Therefore, the FPGA never outputs 16bit SDAT/channel.
The 0 or 1 padding method is like this. When a negative PCM value is sent, padded with 1 (+3.3V) and when a positive PCM value is sent, padded with 0(0V).
Though I don't think this method is mathematically correct, one early SDTrans user requested this style and we simply adopted it.

Bunpei
Old 6th June 2012, 02:24 PM   #489
diyAudio Member

Default Connecting I2S/DSD signals from SDTrans to Buffalo III

Once, a Buffalo III is configured in a "Buffalo II compatible style", the necessary wiring are;

SDTrans384(CN8)___Buffalo III/Buffalo II
1 LRCK------------D1
3 SDAT------------D2
5 DCLK------------DCK
8 GND-------------GND(any)
(in the case of synchronous master clocking)
7 MCLK------------Clock (when Crystek Oscillator is removed)

I usually use short wires of 2.5 - 5 cm length.
Old 6th June 2012, 04:37 PM   #490
elecon is offline elecon  Japan
diyAudio Member

I can see some people here mention the Aune S1 digital which is basically a Linux based music server based on a Core chip, and an AKM4390 DAC chip that goes up to 192kHz/32bit. This also has a built in AC power supply.

I have not heard the Aune S1, so I cannot comment on its sound. I simply want to state that what the SDTrans384 is, and the way it is used, is very different from the computer based Music Server Aune S1.

The SDTrans384 is not a Music Server, and it does not contain any computer with an operating system. The SDTrans384 is a very "single minded" battery operated device for the purest available way to play a WAV format music file.

As of today it is capable of playing multi-bit files up to 384kHz/32bit and DSD files up to 48kHz x 256 = 12.3MHz. There is (to my knowledge) no other player/transport in the world with this capability.

Of course the SDTrans384 must be connected via I2S over HDMI to a similarly capable DAC, and the only DAC-chip I know of (which is actually shipping) capable of such playback is the ESS ES9018, so the choice is among DACs that contain this chip along with capable design to extract the maximum from this chip. The actual max oversampling capability of the 9018 is actually 48kHz x 512 = 24.576 MHz.

Chiaki and Bunpei has also prototyped a synchronous clock-mode version of their SDTrans384 that has an additional PCB attached on top of the normal PCB, and this is pair matched with a remote PCB that gets mounted within the DAC. The two PCBs are connected via I2S over HDMI which also carries the synchronized clock signal to the SDTrans384 from the two custom made NDK oscillator "clocks" of 90.3168MHz and 98.304MHz mounted on the remote board inside the DAC. The clock signal is actually divided by a actor of 4 when received at the SDTrans384 for its native frequencies of 22.5792MHz and 24.576MHz. However, after testing both the asynchronous (separate clock oscillators for SDTrans and DAC) versus synchronous clock oscillators (a single set that supplies the clock signal simultaneously to both units) there is no dounb that the latter sounds significantly better.

As an owner of this system (installed as a system with a FIDELIX CAPRICE DAC) I am of the opinion that this is capable of the finest digital playback I have heard as of today, cost no object. This is also the pinnacle of Chiaki's & Bunpei's SDTrans DIY project.

It is also worth mentioning that the sound quality achievable is not dependent on being limited to the highest upsampling and bit rates. I do personally not recommend to upsample files from their original sample & bit rates, but rather recommend that they are played as they have been obtained. The best is of course when one is lucky enough to receive an original high bit & high sample studio recording that can be played back as intended. The same is true for original DSDIFF files.

There is no other digital playback system (to my knowledge) that is as capable as the SDTRans384 connected via I2S over HDMI to an ESS ES9018 DAC in synchronized clock mode.

Regarding sound; I willingly admit that I have not heard every digital playback system available in this world. Howsever the SDTrans384 based system is the absolutely best among those that I have heard.

Even though what I have written here is a summary of things already said many times previously in this thread; I though it was worthwhile to clarify what the SDTrans384 is and what it isn't.

Last edited by elecon; 6th June 2012 at 05:07 PM.

MicroSD Memory Card Transport ProjectHide this!Advertise here!