MicroSD Memory Card Transport Project

Sorry o' god o' audio but it has not been thoroughly hashed out. If it has for you then why do you bother looking at this thread. Let me guess: you do not use or own a SDTrans? I bet I am right.

To the quoted one:
If I did not hear a difference why would I post? I am not trying to start a controversy. IF you use an SDTrans it is simple enough to buy the other format writer and hear for yourself. Your English is fine it is your reasoning that I do not understand. I have no idea how a laptop would perform since I do not use one. I know I would not use a laptop for audio but then I have no idea what I am talking about and what I hear is a fantasy I have created within my own limited consciousness. Proceed with caution. In fact, do not proceed at all. Just leave it alone and wait patiently for the next celebrated fancy box full of chips, DC-DC converters and ceramic capacitors. Therein will lie the truth. Who cares if it sounds bad? But it will be new. Who wants to listen to this stuff anyway? More on this below.

But to all, whatever you do DO NOT TRY any of this for yourselves. You will not hear any difference at all. It is all a big joke and you smart fellows did not get sucked into it. You should be, and I know, you are, immensely proud and pleased with yourselves. AS you should be. You know full well that audio is a settled "science" and there is nothing anyone can do to improve it so quit trying. Spend your time with home theater, it will be more rewarding.

And most importantly, why bother to listen to music at all? It is stupid. There aren't any pictures and it demands much too much time which would be better spent writing comments on audio forums. Then again maybe those boxes as mentioned above are what put too many of you in such a cranky mood?

Back to work ...

I thought my 16 year old daughter had signed up to DIY Audio:D

Hi Guys,
So sorry but am in need of help desperately. Bought a used Sdtrans, unit
came together with Akko power supplies plus a wall mart but no instructions
or menu. Contacted seller but guess he's too busy. Tried supplying a 5v supply
to the Sdtrans well only the lcd lit up & there's no reading on the 2G Sd card
that Id been using on my QLS player. Im thinking originally if there's any
jumper on CN 5, 7 & 10 which I think are the supply connection for using
the Akko regulated supplies. Fellow member CFT has advice that it's straight
forward plug & play but. Would greatly appreciate if anyone would kindly
guide me on this. What I would like to do is to run it on 5v supply first before
I try the rest. Would also be great if anyone can email me the instructions &
menu pls.

Thank to all

sumotan,

Neither marce not julf have one of these so why they are advising you is something only they can answer.

If you are only using the main supply all of those jumpers need to be in place.

If you do not have the owner's manual send me a PM with your email address and I will send it to you.

I will try to assist you in getting this excellent player working.

I just discovered the SDTrans384 a couple days ago, and I'm very excited about it as I have been looking for a high fidelity, minimalist source like this for years.

I have a question for rickmcinnis: Could you give us a guide to putting together a ripping/copying computer for SD cards? From your description in post 720, I think I have a decent idea about the hardware, but how do I create the OS/software stack that you're using? Is this something you did yourself, or is it available for download?

I'm also not clear on what is meant by ripping and copying OS's? Is writing an SD card always a two step process, or is one OS for CDs and the other for digital files?

Thanks!

I'll have an SDTrans384 coming in a few weeks, but if someone could answer some questions about its functionality it might be helpful to me and others.

Does it have a repeat function? Pursuant to that, what happens if you put a card in, hit play, and walk away? Does it play to the end of the folder and stop? To the end of the card? Does it go back to the first song in the folder and play through again? To the first song on the card?

I'm asking because putting an album on repeat is how I usually get my systems warmed up and ready to play. Also useful for break in, of course.

I'll have an SDTrans384 coming in a few weeks, but if someone could answer some questions about its functionality it might be helpful to me and others.

Does it have a repeat function? Pursuant to that, what happens if you put a card in, hit play, and walk away? Does it play to the end of the folder and stop? To the end of the card? Does it go back to the first song in the folder and play through again? To the first song on the card?

I'm asking because putting an album on repeat is how I usually get my systems warmed up and ready to play. Also useful for break in, of course.

I just discovered the SDTrans384 a couple days ago, and I'm very excited about it as I have been looking for a high fidelity, minimalist source like this for years.

Why does "minimalist" matter? With an analog signal chain, minimalism might be good, but with computers, minimalism is not necessarily a good thing.

I think I have a decent idea about the hardware, but how do I create the OS/software stack
What you want is software that 1) reads each track or block multiple times and compares the reads, making sure they are the same (most software that does this is based on the cdparanoia library), and b) compares the result against the accurip on-line database to ensure the result is perfect.

I'm also not clear on what is meant by ripping and copying OS's? Is writing an SD card always a two step process, or is one OS for CDs and the other for digital files?
It is always a two (or more) step process. The data is either ripped to local RAM/disk or transferred into local RAM/disk, and then written out to the SD card. Ideally you then verify the result, making it a 3- or 4-step process.