MicroSD Memory Card Transport Project - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st March 2010, 06:04 PM   #131
jkeny is offline jkeny  Ireland
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUVL View Post
Isn't that what you get by changing all the empty LSBs into 1 -- a DC offset ?
Or did I misunderstood the story ?
But what about positive samples where the empty LSBs are still all 0s - as far as I understand it? I realise I don't really understand much though
Old 31st March 2010, 06:12 PM   #132
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUVL View Post
Isn't that what you get by changing all the empty LSBs into 1 -- a DC offset ?
Or did I misunderstood the story ?
For negative samples the 8 (24bit data) or 16 (16bit data) LSB to fill out to 32bit are clocked out as "1".

For positive samples the 8 (24bit data) or 16 (16bit data) LSB to fill out to 32bit are clocked out as "0".
Old 31st March 2010, 06:19 PM   #133
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCtech View Post
For negative samples the 8 (24bit data) or 16 (16bit data) LSB to fill out to 32bit are clocked out as "1".

For positive samples the 8 (24bit data) or 16 (16bit data) LSB to fill out to 32bit are clocked out as "0".
Ray,
Can you explain the effect of this change in the digital processing sense. I was thinking that it works like quantization -adding noise to the signal which helps the distortion particularly at low signal levels but this does not hold up for the positive going samples which are not padded with 1s.
Old 31st March 2010, 06:27 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeny View Post
PS. Have you tried the ES9018 in synchronous mode i.e operating from the clock in the SDtrans? Well worth a listen although you seem to be happy with the sound you are now getting. I would be interested in your impressions of the sound of synchronous clock operation in the Sabre DAC.
No not the ES9018 - it is clocked at 100MHz.

But the ES9022 and ES9022 balanced version was tested with synchronous master clock from the SDTrans and 40 MHz, 50 MHz and 80 MHz asynchronous clocks..

50 MHz asynchronous clock was the best alternative.

80 MHz asynchronous clock appeared to play correct, but there was a "hiss" - background noise so it could not be used.

I have not tried to over-clock the ES9018, but I will test this on the new PCB where I can change clocks under software control from the remote..
Old 31st March 2010, 06:32 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeny View Post
Ray,
Can you explain the effect of this change in the digital processing sense. I was thinking that it works like quantization -adding noise to the signal which helps the distortion particularly at low signal levels but this does not hold up for the positive going samples which are not padded with 1s.
A "0" in the LSB bits for a positive sample are a "0"...
A "1" in the LSB bits for a negative sample are a "0"...

So when negative samples wrongly are padded with "0" values in the LSB bits it represents a value - just like if you padded the LSB bits of a positive sample with "1"..
Old 31st March 2010, 06:40 PM   #136
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCtech View Post
A "0" in the LSB bits for a positive sample are a "0"...
A "1" in the LSB bits for a negative sample are a "0"...

So when negative samples wrongly are padded with "0" values in the LSB bits it represents a value - just like if you padded the LSB bits of a positive sample with "1"..
OK, I have to try to get my head around this - need to do some reading, methinks BUT again, isn't this such a fundamental error in digital processing? How could it be overlooked in most hardware/software implementations?
Old 31st March 2010, 06:48 PM   #137
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

I know it is off topic, but the MCLK of the 9022 is only specified at 50MHz max. (20ns). Bearing in mind that mark-space ration of XOs can be 45:55, I think it is better to have so margin, like 40 MHz. Don't you think ?

Patrick
Old 31st March 2010, 08:45 PM   #138
diyAudio Member

not really a diy guy, but I think this i interesting, would be nice if it was in a case though
Old 31st March 2010, 08:47 PM   #139
diyAudio Member

looks very interesting would like it in a case though
Old 31st March 2010, 09:54 PM   #140
diyAudio Member

sorry for dobble, plz continue im very close to ordering, I think you are on to something ray happy Easter holiday

Hide this!Advertise here!