Marantz Troubleshoot Question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th April 2009, 04:21 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Marantz Troubleshoot Question

Hello,
I'm going to throw this out just in case someone can offer a solution.
I have a Marantz 8260 that has been TOC fixed by a Marantz Service Center, and the player reads hybrid discs and rbcd's just fine. However, I have a fair number of Miles Davis single layer JSACD's, and the player only seems to like a couple of these, and only at certain odd times.
The player has a Tent Clock XO2 with it's own power supply.
The transport is the original. I also have a replacement transport, and when I've installed this, the same thing happens.

When I insert the JSACD disc, the disc doesn't not spin, and then in short order, "ERROR" flashes on the display. Whenever a JSACD disc ever spins upon insertion, it gets read fine, and will play. It doesn't seem to matter if the player is cold, or warm from playing for an hour or two. Recycling the power does not help.
I also have a few classical single layer discs from BIS, and they are read just fine.

Is the trouble likely with the Tent Clock? Or is something else going on? Why does the disc not spin?

A non technical solution does exist, and that is to replace some of the discs with newly issued hybrids, as Sony has released a bunch in 2007. But for some of the discs, there is only the JSACD or rbcd. And I'd like to have the JSACD's play.

This all didn't just start happening the other day either. I've had various transport/read issues thru time, as this is the 8260. And unfortunately memory fails me as to when the player stopped playing these JSACD's. Although I do believe it was after I started playing around with modifications and adding clocks, etc. So, I quite understand this issue is quite related to something I may have done somewhere along the line.

Thanks for reading.

Hide this!Advertise here!