Outputting 24bit digital audio - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2009, 12:45 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Outputting 24bit digital audio

I have been getting a few Japanese re-mastered albums that are done in 20 and 24bit.
I was wondering if standard CD players can output that resolution though their digital outputs to a stand alone DAC to be converted.
Or would they only read it at 16bits, essentially down-converting it before outputting it though its digital out?
If that is the case, would a DVD Audio player be needed to read these re-mastered albums at their full 20 and 24 bit resolution?
Old 28th March 2009, 01:48 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi lotuss79,

you have to convert your files to 44,1 KHz and 16 Bit if you wnt to play them on a normal CD Player. If your player is able to playback DVD-Audio you can use for example a DVD authoring program like Cirlinca's Solo to write yor 24 Bit files on a DVD. But I think your Player will only use the internal DAC to output a analog signal and for copyright reasons you will not get the digital high resolution stream on your SPDIF.
But there are solutions for this handicap. One example is here:

Hirez SACD and DVD-A digital output for Pioneer DV-575A and DV-578A (dsd to pcm)
Old 28th March 2009, 02:23 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Tranceformer,
Maybe i will try going through a hard disk drive/music server. That might be the simplest way to output 24bit audio to my DAC.
Old 28th March 2009, 10:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Yes, I think thats the way to go. Do you want to build your own player or do you plan to buy a hard disk player?
Not all "Mediaplayer's" are able to play 24/96 audio. Even when they play the files some units do an internal conversion to 16Bit before they stream it to SPDIF, and I am sure this is not what you want.
Old 28th March 2009, 11:48 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thats a good point. I would have liked to go with iTunes, but i dont believe they support 24bit. Ill have to look into that.
Old 30th March 2009, 05:33 AM   #6
Key is offline Key  United States
diyAudio Member

All 24-bit remaster means is that when they EQed and whatever else to the file, they did it at 24-bit. Then they convert the mastered files to 16-bit with dither for the CD. A regular CD player will do just fine.
Old 30th March 2009, 05:43 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thats disappointing, but thanks for the clarification.
Old 30th March 2009, 04:55 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

The only way to get the equivalent of 20 bit resolution on a regular CD it is HDCD. In Asia, the format it is more popular than in the rest of the world.
Old 30th March 2009, 05:08 PM   #9
Key is offline Key  United States
diyAudio Member

Eh I still think it's 16-bits.

If you want to get that 20-bit trick try ripping regular CDs with Exact Audio Copy, converting them to 24-bit and then running them through an expander like Waves C4 (UNCompressor preset -13dB). Imho s process like this which is done at 48-bit or 64-bit floating point DSP will usually beat out any HDCD player.
Old 31st March 2009, 04:15 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

standard 75ohm coax cable can not transfer 24bits digital audio - you will have to use balanced 110ohm professional link.

Boky

Hide this!Advertise here!