Marantz CD50 mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Glad its sounding nice now!

So am I right in my understanding that you are runnig the TDA output directly into the Lamp valve stage with just an R for I/V?

Do you have the actual circuit you are using?

PAM said:
:smash:
Remark:
If you use NOS you should use clock/4 for the TDA1541 pin2. See story of Pedja Rogic mods to CD304mkII.

PAM have you tried experimenting with /2 here? Is the /4 a requirement as you are running NOS?

Cheers

Ian

Cd50 nos

Hi Guys,

I've got a nice cd50 myself after reading your posts since the 80's Marantz brings back a lot of good memories.

So far I've put it to NOS playback as PAM mentioned. I added across each of the 100nF SMD decoupling caps (14 pieces around DAC) a parallel MKT 220nF/100V from Wima as Lukasz describes in his CD50 mods.

In the picture you see that the leg of the far right cap was soldered on the wrong pin causing it to distort the left channel. After correcting it, pure sound again :rolleyes:

A upgraded 5v regulator LM2940CT has also been installed. Must do some more research to the power feeds to the demodulator and DAC chips.

Also WBT RCA plugs with silver wiring replaced the standard RCA's.

So far, so good..... the sound is already pretty nice (after 20 hours burn-in).

Next up, os-con'ing the board and adding a tube output stage. I've send Almeg69 a PM, hoping he can help me out on the tube part.

Any other recommendations? Some help on the power is highly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark.

Attachments

• decoupling DAC.JPG
    decoupling DAC.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 245
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.