Newbie needs help diagnosing Denon DCD-1500

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all:

I was really happy to stumble upon this forum. I hope someone can give me some advice.

I recently acquired a Denon DCD-1500for next to nothing, as an inoperational unit. I've heard a lot of good things about this player and hoped I could fix it. It's exhibiting some weird symptoms:

When you turn the power on, the tray will open and close, but that's it. The display doesn't light up, the CD doesn't spin, the laser assembly doesn't move, the player doesn't respond to any buttons (except the open/close one!)

I downloaded the service manual for this player but it's all kind of over my head; I've done a lot of work fixing mechanical and physical parts of vintage audio gear (speakers, cassette decks, turntables) but almost nothing with electronics. I have determined that, yes, this is the American version, set to 120V 60hz, with no voltage selector as the European version apparently had. There are also apparently no fuses in this machine (at least the service manual doesn't list any for the U.S. version, and I can't see any). I have not noticed any apparent bad solder joints or other visible problems.

Any ideas where to start? It seems like the juice is getting to the door/tray mechanism but nowhere else. If I can get this running on my own I'd be really pleased; if it sounds like an expensive repair I'll have to pass.

Thanks for any help, and I look forward to learning from the members here!

Roy

The 1500 doesn't use fuses, no, but it does use 'fusible resistors', one or two of which are almost certainly your player's problem. Look in the area of the power supply for low value resistors(i.e., third color code band is silver or gold) & then check for dc voltage at each end. If you find voltage not getting through one, just replace it. It is not at all uncommon for them to give up the ghost on these players with nothing else actually being wrong to cause it.

Hey, thanks very much for the reply! As you predicted, I found one resistor near the power supply that's not letting any juice through. It's got 4 bands, the 4th of which is gold.

Unfortunately, the parts sheet in the service manual doesn't list any value for this resistor! I'm assuming the color-coded bands tell me what it should be?

THanks a million for the help, it gives me hope I might be able to get this thing working again!

Best

Roy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.