Theta Data II cutting out

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i have had a Theta DSPro GEN III DAC and Theta Data II for the last 7 years. i haven't even used it all that much lately as i've been spinning vinyl mainly for the last year or so.

anywho, i went to have a listen and sound would drop out for a split second from time to time. i don't think it's the DAC because sometimes i can hear was sounds like a skip - other times, the music just stops. i try to look quickly to the display to see if the transport is freezing - but the music always starts up again before i can get a good glimpse of the display. the transport is basically a hot-rodded Phillips CDM-9 Pro for reference.

i'm not much of a "fix-it guy" but have a friend/tech that can do anything - provided he has the schematic.

any thoughts on what could be the problem? do the lasers go bad or just the capacitors? the combo is 16 years old - about the lifespan of most electrolytics, eh?

i'd rather fix the problem than buy a new cd player. i love the thetas for their total overkill and imposing presence. They are like the Cray Supercomputer of digital front ends. LOL! ;-)

thanks,
Robby

Hi Steve.

COMING from China; however they appear to me to be the (crappy) OEM gear based on the color and other details I saw in the posted picture.

Someone was offering ABS replacements at one time, and I sent an e-mail, but have not heard back yet...

So, coming from China, but OEM as far as I can tell...

I ordered two, so when the first fails I have a spare while looking for more...;)

Where on LI are you? I'd be interested in meeting up with other similarly afflicted individuals...:eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.