Theta Data II cutting out - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th March 2009, 06:49 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Theta Data II cutting out

i have had a Theta DSPro GEN III DAC and Theta Data II for the last 7 years. i haven't even used it all that much lately as i've been spinning vinyl mainly for the last year or so.

anywho, i went to have a listen and sound would drop out for a split second from time to time. i don't think it's the DAC because sometimes i can hear was sounds like a skip - other times, the music just stops. i try to look quickly to the display to see if the transport is freezing - but the music always starts up again before i can get a good glimpse of the display. the transport is basically a hot-rodded Phillips CDM-9 Pro for reference.

i'm not much of a "fix-it guy" but have a friend/tech that can do anything - provided he has the schematic.

any thoughts on what could be the problem? do the lasers go bad or just the capacitors? the combo is 16 years old - about the lifespan of most electrolytics, eh?

i'd rather fix the problem than buy a new cd player. i love the thetas for their total overkill and imposing presence. They are like the Cray Supercomputer of digital front ends. LOL! ;-)

thanks,
Robby
Old 9th February 2010, 08:54 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hello! New member here...

Just looking for the drive gear/pulley for the drawer on a Data Basic.

Any line on those?

Thanks in advance (I have a dedicated post with picture under parts)
Old 11th February 2010, 07:43 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi there, there are lots of CDM-9 Pro door gear and belt for sale on e-bay! just do a google search.
Old 11th February 2010, 12:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks!

I have two on the way from China.

I was hoping to get the ABS replacements, but have not received any contact yet...
Old 11th February 2010, 06:41 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Jim: From China??? There are a lot gear and belt sets from Philips' Japan OEM suppliers. CDM9-Pro deserves the VERY BEST parts.
Old 11th February 2010, 06:52 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi Steve.

COMING from China; however they appear to me to be the (crappy) OEM gear based on the color and other details I saw in the posted picture.

Someone was offering ABS replacements at one time, and I sent an e-mail, but have not heard back yet...

So, coming from China, but OEM as far as I can tell...

I ordered two, so when the first fails I have a spare while looking for more...

Where on LI are you? I'd be interested in meeting up with other similarly afflicted individuals...
Old 11th February 2010, 11:38 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I live on the border of Nassau county and Queens. Floral Park.
Old 12th February 2010, 12:04 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Sweet! We will have to get together for a beer sometime I think... Not far at all!

I work in Westbury.
Old 12th February 2010, 08:31 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Westbury?! OMG, I teach at NCC...
Old 12th February 2010, 08:34 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Our plant (SULZER) is right in front of BOCES on Prospect Ave...

Hide this!Advertise here!