Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th May 2009, 09:36 AM   #121
SunRa is offline SunRa  Romania
diyAudio Member

super, we will wait the kit..

hope it won't cost an arm and a leg though..

I found very informative posts in this thread, thank you!
Old 17th May 2009, 10:21 AM   #122
diyAudio Member

Hello,
also EiAj is supported (TDA1545, AD1865 etc.)? or only I2s?
I belive in a fair kit price, may be with two options:standard ( high quality)and premium( super quality) parts.
Ciao
Guglielmo
Old 17th May 2009, 10:26 AM   #123
Tolu is offline Tolu  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi John

please put me on the order list!

Have you seen my post #109 and#110?

The main difference will be that the QA-550 is universal mid-fi design and John does real high-end!

If you look closely at the picture of the QA-550 there is a funny mistake with the labeling! Who has seen it?
Old 17th May 2009, 12:03 PM   #124
jkeny is offline jkeny  Ireland
Banned

Yes John,

The advantages of avoiding any mechanical moving parts
- no spurious PS current draws from servos & motors which bleed back into the clock PS (but logic gates firing can also cause PS glitches - so your DSP chip could also introduce some PS noise. I noticed you have avoided DSP processing as much as possible by supporting only WAV)
- no need for the error-correcting/extrapolation of real-time CD laser readers (& the associated problems)

In doing that you've addressed the main shortcomings of mechanical transports.

Your implementation of the clock signal distribution is interesting BUT I still think that you need to check the jitter at the DAC in order to prove that you have achieved your goal.
Old 17th May 2009, 01:38 PM   #125
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tolu

If you look closely at the picture of the QA-550 there is a funny mistake with the labeling! Who has seen it?
Are you talking about the constant power draw caused by the "NO/OFF" button?

Old 17th May 2009, 03:58 PM   #126
jonners is offline jonners  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Javin5
Is anything known about the contact reliability of these SD-cards? How many times can they be inserted?

They appear to be rated typically for 10,000 or more insertion/removal cycles.
Old 18th May 2009, 11:21 AM   #127
diyAudio Member

Hi jkeny,

Quote:
Your implementation of the clock signal distribution is interesting BUT I still think that you need to check the jitter at the DAC in order to prove that you have achieved your goal.
I attached a block diagram that may clarify the problem (cumulated jitter) and a possible solution (time correction). Best comparison would be that of feedback in an analogue circuit

I have been trying to say that sample timing jitter (DAC output) is most important parameter, low master clock jitter alone is not the solution (top block diagram). So inserting a low jitter master clock is fine, but basically provides only marginal improvement since DAC jitter contribution is usually much higher as that of the master clock, followed by flip-flops / counters and clock buffers.

Sample timing jitter (DAC output / during D/A conversion) translates to audible digital artifacts, by using selected highly critical test tracks, the effects of sample timing jitter can be magnified. Without time correction these digital artifacts remain audible. With the time correction enabled, these audible digital artifacts vanish completely.

Measuring these extreme low jitter levels is difficult (here it can only be measured at a NOS DAC unfiltered output using a suitable test signal). Modern DACs are problematic as they don't provide a suitable feedback signal (integrated switched-capacitor filters). Connecting a test probe already affects measurement too (capacitive load + introduced ground loop).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tc.jpg (70.4 KB, 1811 views)
Old 18th May 2009, 11:27 AM   #128
diyAudio Member

Hi Tolu,

Quote:
Any progress with gapless playback?
I think we might have a solution, this puts some restrictions on track names and requires an identifier file (gapless.txt) to be included in the directory that holds the tracks (WAV files) that are part of a gapless album.
Old 18th May 2009, 11:31 AM   #129
diyAudio Member

Hi jonners,

Quote:
They appear to be rated typically for 10,000 or more insertion/removal cycles
The card holder will wear-out first, so I made it replaceable (separate PCB).
Old 18th May 2009, 12:20 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

Hello,
also EiAj is supported (TDA1545, AD1865 etc.) or only I2s?
Ciao
Guglielmo

Hide this!Advertise here!