VRDS: Whats the big deal while it just a Sony KSS151A ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Friends,
This is my first post in this forum. I came here because I was looking for an answer to a very cryptic question.

I am looking out to buy a used transport for myself to be paired with my Reimyo DAP-777 dac. I have two choices for around the same price:

1. Marantz CD-94
2. Teac VRDS-10

I have heard a lot of good things about VRDS. But recently I read somewhere that it is just a Sony KSS151A with a clamp. If that is the case then why has it received such a cult status ? Is it all hype and marketing. Does that mean that a CD-94 will actually be a much better sounding transport ? Does VRDS really is worth buying ? Please share your views and experiences. I know there is more to a transport than just the laser mechanism and I would love to hear from you knowledgeable people before I make a choice.

BTW, I dont have the option of listening to any of these with my DAC before buying. It will be a blind buy so your opinion counts a lot.

regards.

Pani said:
Hi Friends,
But recently I read somewhere that it is just a Sony KSS151A with a clamp.
regards.

Just a Sony KSS151A? In my opinion best best laser/sled assembly ever produced, have a good look at it, there are no gears to move the laser, it's done with a magnetic/coil drive, far smoother than gears.
As for the clamp (attached), in the VRDS10 it is built like a Swiss watch, it's dished and covers the whole surface to take out any disc flapping that occures with center held mechs.
Cheers George

Attachments

• naked transport.jpg
    naked transport.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 1,014
Hi George,
Thanks for your reply.
I did not know that the KSS151A is such a good mechanism.

BTW, have you ever compared your Wadia to the likes of CD-94 or any other Philips high end mechanism based transport (I dont consider CDM-12.x to be high end). Something like CDM-1, CDM pro2, CDM9 etc ?

Pani said:
Hi George,
Thanks for your reply.

BTW, have you ever compared your Wadia to the likes of CD-94 or any other Philips high end mechanism based transport Something like CDM-1, CDM pro2, CDM9 etc ?

I have these second to the Teac's, even with the lower KSS240A Sony lasers, that are in the VRDS-T1's. If you really want the best (attached Teac's P-70)

Attachments

• vrds p-70 transport.jpg
    vrds p-70 transport.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 907
No, the KSS151A is a laser, not a mechanism as a whole.

Whether or not the reputation of the VRDS mechnism, or any other high end mech, is deserved remains to be seen. Why do I say this? Anyone in here who has been playing around with a certain low cost boom box CD-mech (and that includes me) knows that even that can sound incredible when tweaked a little and hooked up to a good DAC. Too good to be true? Read this thread .

Hi George,

I would choose the Teac. It is built like a tank and the VRDS drive is imho superior to the CDM. Not because the Laser blabla but because of the VRDS giving the laser best conditions to read out the disc.
On the other hand you will have a big problem when you have to get a new laser for the Teac.
At the end of the day both machines are very good and it will be a matter of taste to choose between them.
So it's up to you. Flip a coin... :D

Best regards
Josch

The plastic clamp on VRDS is a joke. Just look here
http://lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/REFERENCES/TEAC-T1/VRDS-T1.html
But can be good soundwise, I don't know. I know Philips CD960, same as the CD94. Its CDM1 doesn't have any gears either... The sound as transport is similar to any CDM4, it has newer servo. CDM1 with old servo as in Philips CD304Mk2 sounds different and for me better.

VRDS uses lasers in a 10:1 ratio compared to CDM4....
??

jean-paul said:
Th epint is that VRDS uses lasers in a 10:1 ratio compared to CDM4....

Dear Jean-Paul,

Are you saying that the CDM4 has 10X longer life than VRDS?

My friend gave me a Tascam CD701 (all metal VRDS and brushless motor) with a dying KSS-151A, and a Philips CD100 with a dead MAB8440P (the CDM0 is not dead yet, but I couldn't find a source for the dead MPU). Which one is more worthy to I spend my money on repair?
Thanks!

Best Regards,
Edward Tam

georgehifi said:
His original question was

"I am looking out to buy a used transport for myself to be paired with my Reimyo DAP-777 dac. I have two choices for around the same price:

1. Marantz CD-94
2. Teac VRDS-10"

The VRDS10 has the KSS151A and the Teac VRDS clamping and magnetic drive

Cheers George

I'm sorry, I didn't make myself clear in my previous post. I tried to say, in a clumsy way, that the decision for the player shouldn't solely be based on the mechanism. VRDS or not, both players may sound equally great. (Of course the Teac is far more impressive to look at than the Marantz, so if they were to sound the same through the DAC, I'd choose the Teac ;) ).

And here is the internal of the CD-701, after I've exchanged most of the caps (Nichicon AS) and the OPAMP (TL072/NJM5532) with newer better one (FC/SEP, AD825/LM6172/LM4562).

The disc and the support bridge are made with metal (sand-cast aluminum I think). The spindle motor is a hall effect bushless one (I did open the white circular plastic cover to add some lithium grease :smash: ).

Best Regards,
Edward Tam

Attachments

• disc.jpg
    disc.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 720
It was my ignorance guys. I am not much into DIY. I was just collecting some info about the VRDS-10 and came across this info that it has a Sony KSS151A which can be found many other CDPs so there is little reason for the VRDS hype. But looks like this mechanism in itself a great stuff and VRDS really makes a difference.
It was very enlightening...Thanks so much.
:)

I think the VRDS mechanism has two things give the impression:

1. it's look; and
2. it is used by Wadia

TEAC 10 has the same transport as some high end and great sounding wadia transport but I was very disappointed with the sound of the TEAC 10 when used as a transport.

quantran said:

TEAC 10 has the same transport as some high end and great sounding wadia transport but I was very disappointed with the sound of the TEAC 10 when used as a transport.

Please elaborate...this is the first time I am hearing such comments about this CDP. What is it that you did not like about this transport ? Which other transport did you find superior to it ?

I compared it to 2 transports.

1. modified marantz cd-53 mkii with xo clock installed. More analog sounding than the teac although it cost about one fifth. Of course I do not count my time spent modifying the marantz.

2. PS Audio Lambda. There is no comparison here. The lamda is a winner in all respect. Same price as the teac.

The Teac produced fairly detailed sound but very dry. I may be modified for better sound I guess but in stock form, it's not interesting.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.