one-way CD skipping

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got a used non-working Rega Planet 2000 CD player. After replacing the laser pick-up (KSS-213b), I got it to work and it sounds fantastic.
The only problem is that every so often it skips about 20-30 seconds BACK. I tried applying some silicon lubrication since I knew that it hadn't been in use for a few years, but it did not help.
Another observation is that when skipping to other tracks, skipping forward goes usually very quickly, while skipping to an earlier track takes very long time. Going back from track 10 to 3, for example, would often result in a very long search. HOwever, if I press "back" once more so it's looking for track 2 and then "forward", it usulaly finds track 3 pretty quickly.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Yuval

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Disconnect the sled motor and power it up from a variable supply. Make sure the pickup moves slowly and freely each way.
Electrical alignment ? You need to look at the RF on a scope as a first step ! and take it from there. If there are adjustments for focus bias and EF balance these are critical.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.