VICTOR Brand CD Players

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jives11 said:
hi,

I know someone selling a Victor brand cd player. I have never heard of Victor, though the face looks suspiciously like a Philips to me. Anyone know which chipsets the use ? Model is an XL-V231

It does have a vaguely Philips look about the front but not the back panel. 4 times oversampling.

No SPDIF !

The only info I could find on the range :-

JVC XL-V131 LC7881 - YM7121B (filter) OPTIMA-5
JVC XL-V221 LC7881 OPTIMA-5
JVC XL-V242 JVC - JCE4501 - CXD2554P (filter) OPTIMA-5S
JVC XL-V250 PCM56 OPTIMA-2
JVC XL-V264 MN35500 OPTIMA-6S

Not much help but looks like it is not Philips based.

Andy

My first CD-player was a JVC XL-V231!
I looked up the receipt (yes, I still have that) and I bought it 11-29-1990. It was not a very expensive player, but well-built nevertheless. My father still uses it on a daily basis and in those 18+ years it has never failed.

But... it doesn't look like the Victor on eBay at all... it looks like this:
tn_JVC%20XL-V231.jpg

The DAC was called "PEM DD converter" by JVC, which was JVC's version of a low-bit converter (which was not unlike Technics' M.A.S.H. DAC).

It has no S/PDIF output and is definitely not Philips based. At the time the Japanese used:
press > first time: PLAY
press > again: PAUSE
and Philips:
press > first time: PLAY
press > again: REPLAY
Philips used a separate PAUSE button.

Last edited:
Laser unit's (optical pick up's) from JVC's "OPTIMA" series are one of the ones with highest reliability, even by the cheapest 20 year old JVC player models. Until this day I haven't found a "wear and tear" unit from JVC but several hundred from Sony KSS series. The reason therefore is "long-life" lens suspension (no plastic in opposite to SONY) and obviously long life laser diodes.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.