Arcam alpha plus cd player help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I have a Arcam alpha plus cd player that is no longer picking up the cd.
The laser is still working and so is the focus and tracking. It looks to me like it isn't receiving.
Can anyone help diagnose this and does anyone have a service manual they could email me?
Thanks.

I have an Alpha +, and I have the service manual, PM me your email address and I'll send it.

How did the problem happen, did it suddenly stop working, or did the problem get worse over time? Has the player been recapped at all? If it hasn't, then this would be the first thing I might look at, as the player must be at least 15 to 20 years old.

Thanks for the replies, I just received the service manual from Arcam, great service.
The player just stopped working, won't read the cd at all.
I replaced all the 33uf with 47uf and this made no difference, I'll adjust the focus and laser today now I have the specs.
The laser is working I clean see it light up.
When you press play the cd stutters for quarter of a turn then spins up briefly and stops. And displays error with the 8cm disk on the display.
Thanks.

Just an update.
I adjusted the laser and focus these were still spot-on.

I ran the service mode and Error 07 came up which is "subcode error during play" Check HF.

This player has had a Trichord jitter clock fitted http://www.trichordresearch.com/cdupgrades.html

It must be receiving something from the laser because if I cover the lens the cd spins up, uncovered the cd rotation just sits stuttering.

Thanks.

amc184 said:
I can send you one, but you'd want to be fairly sure that the TDA8809 was at fault. What made you think that, is the swingarm not tracking correctly?

Thanks, but I just ordered one on ebay from uk.
I'm not certain that it is faulty, but I can't see how I can test it. And (in test mode) the error I get is err 03 which points to the TDA8809. I know I said earlier that the error was 07 but the disc was still spinning when it gave the error. Error 03 is the only one that comes up if the disc is still.

If you have any suggestions on what else I could check, please do.

Does the radial arm move freely? By freely, I mean with a tap it should move through it's full traverse a couple of times, bouncing off the end stops. If it doesn't, that might be your problem. The arm should move with almost no resistance.

I had a Marantz CD 52 mk2 where during transport a magnet in the arm drive shifted, causing friction in the arm. The swingarm would still traverse, but not as freely as normal, and that was enough to stop the player working.

Thats you problem then, nothing will happen before focus is achieved. I thought this might be the case when you said it reports error code 3, don't know why nothing about focus is shown beside it in the table. Have you tried another CDM-4/19 in it, to rule out the mech as the problem?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.