Who knows anything DVD burners?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have got a pioneer a05/105 dvd-r / rw burner. I would recommend a sony dru500 based on the facility to burn both dvd-r / rw and dvd+r / rw.

If your thinking of making backups of movie that you own it can be quite difficult compared to cd, but new software is helping to make things much easier.

Most media at the moment is 4.7gig the problem arises when the movie your trying to make a backup of is over this size. This is where ripping software comes in, it essential takes certain things off the dvd like foreign subtitle to help make it smaller.

Try this forum there are many knowledgeable people there with some guides to help also.

http://www.disqworld.com/forums/index.php

I have a pioneer A04, and i would advise you AGAINST anything having to do with DVD+R. I really like the compatibility of the DVD-R...

Yes, you CAN make copies of movies, like manners said.

Also, like he said, most movies you buy in the store are DVD-9, meaning they are 9 gig max capacity..... ( because they are actually 2 dvds pressed together...and only Professional grade equipment can do this. )

DVD-R's are 4.3 gig, which means some movies will copy directly over ( like some of the older DVDs...for example, my copy of Goodfellas, which has a widescreen version on one side of a 2 sided DVD and fullscreen on the other )

In this case, you can just copy the movie directly to your blank DVD-R.

Other newer movies, such as Lord of the Rings ( which i just copied 5 minutes ago ) require some software to do its thing before you go burning it...this is because the actual movie itself is like 7.3 gig. You can strip out the things you dont want....trailers, FBI warnings, menus, extra subtitles, extra audio tracks you dont need, ..etc. All these things save space on your new DVD that you are trying to burn.

If you buy a DVD burner, i recommend you find a copy of DVD DECRYPTOR ( free on the web ). This is a ripping program. It pulls all the files off the DVD and cracks the encryption key so you can twiddle with them.

The next piece is DVD2ONE, which you can find on Kazaa. There are other programs, such as DVDshrink, etc..that do the same thing. I like DVD2ONE cause its easy as hell.

Anyways, Rip the movie with DVDDecryptor to your hard drive....Run DVD2ONE on it, which in about half an hour reencodes the movie with minimal loss to fit your DVD-R, and burn the created files with Nero. ( also availible on the web. )

Its that easy. Takes about 2 hours from beginning to end for me ( i only have a 2 speed DVD burner )

I have about 50 copied movies right now.

-Maz

Also, you dont want another DVD reader if you have a dvd writer. This is redundant. Nobody copies DVDs on the fly...it doesnt work the same as copying CDs does.

I have a 48x CD-R, and a Pioneer A04 (104) DVD-R/RW/CD-R in my machine.

When i want to Rip DVDs, i put them in the AO4, and let it rip.

When i want to copy CDs, source in the AO4, target in the 48x CD-R

-Maz

I agree with Guido. The support for the + standards is very strong, and there are notable technical advantages over the - standards. I've got an external HP dvd200e firewire-attached burner, which burns DVD perfectly well and playable in regular DVD players. My only complaint about this unit is that CD audio extraction is quite slow.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
jean-paul said:
And what do you think a Superdrive is Dave ???

A drive capable of RW DVDs & CDs. Original units were all Pioneers, current production uses other vendors as well.

The key thou is that all the software comes with -- burning data is seamlessly built into the OS and making movies is covered with iDVD (also brain-dead simple). The software for making the movies all come with too, and if you need there are upgrades to full-blown professional quality software at bargain-basement prices.

As to RIPing & burning existing DVDs, i don't really see the point. For the time, effort & money involved i'd rather go out and buy a 2nd copy -- it would be cheaper. And if you really need to, i'm sure software is out there (probably ported from Linux) to do the RIPing.

dave

For me :

Time involved = 2 hours from start to end on a 2x dvd-r. this is for ANY movie.

Money involved = $250 for what i paid for the drive, $1.00 a piece for DVD-r media ( i buy in spools of 50 or 100 at a time ), and $.50 for a DVD aramark case.

Truth be told, i probably spend more in printing out covers for the dvds i copy....inkjet printer cartridges are expensive!

-Maz ( who loves his 2 children - Mac G4 AND PC equally :) )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.