Is CDM-9/44 compatible with CDM-9/65 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th February 2009, 01:06 PM   #1
dewdrop is offline dewdrop  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Default Is CDM-9/44 compatible with CDM-9/65

Bummer, my Arcam Alpha 5+ player died on me, I am wondering if CDM-9/44 is compatible with CDM-9/65. Can anyone enlighten me?

I can't seemed to see anyone selling a CDM-9/65. Do I have alternatives?

Many thanks!

-Ed
Old 24th February 2009, 04:30 PM   #2
Tyron is offline Tyron  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Ed,

I have several Arcam Alpha 5/5+ (fantastic CD players), some have CDM-9/44 and some have CDM-9/65. So I think the answer to your question is yes!

Regards,

Tyron
Old 24th February 2009, 11:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks mate! Have you ever disassembled one of these? I am having a hard time getting the module out. Seems that something is stuck to the board.
Old 26th February 2009, 10:12 AM   #4
Tyron is offline Tyron  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

There are a couple of screws that secure the underside of the mech to the PCB. So you have to remove the whole PCB unfortunately!

From memory you have to remove the audio/DAC board first, plastic front panel (2 screws either side plus one in the middle from inside), back chassis panel, 4 screws on the PCB around the mains transformer and I think 1 screw at back of mech which you probably found already. There are also a couple of plastic clips through the PCB in the area under the audio/DAC board to be released.

You should now be able to remove the whole PCB/mech assembly as one. The front panel PCB and front chassis part comes out still fixed to the main PCB. Now you can get to the two screws under the PCB. Also undo the 2 screws either side of the mech at the front where it fixes to the front chassis. 2 connectors go to the PCB at the front right of the mech.

BE CAREFUL! This is the trickiest bit! - there is a fragile ribbon cable that connects to the PCB under the mech, you can only raise the mech a little to release the clamp connector of the ribbon cable. I find a small screwdriver best to push out on either side of the connector to release the clamp.

I may have missed something so if something seems stuck don't force it! Hope this helps and good luck.

Tyron
Old 26th February 2009, 12:54 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Tyron,
Thanks! Your advice is very detailed. I have just found my old Arcam service manual, so I will remember what you said.

Will keep you posted on the repair, expecting the laser module to come only next Monday.

Cheers,
Ed
Old 2nd March 2009, 03:39 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default How to fit the mounts back into the module

Hi Tyron,
I ran into some issues trying to put the module back into the rubber mounts, I can't seem to push it back into the metal slots of the laser assembly!

How is this done?

Hide this!Advertise here!