Non-OS DA Converter Questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The 47 labs DAC and all non-OS DIY versions I've encountered so far use a 16-bit DAC. Why can't a newer technology chipset be used, like 20- or 24?

I've been considering Scott Nixon's version and have been doing some investigation of on-line reviews.

The 47 Labs DAC in particular has gotten several reviews. The Stereophile review was (unusually) honest and helpful and mentioned some colorations that I presume to be either from passive component selectioin and/or the use of the older 16-bit chipset. I seem to remember reading that the 47 Labs Gaincard didn't use higher components like BG caps so I assume the same level of componentry was used in the DAC.

Thoughts?

Newer chipsets

Hi greg7,
NON-OS situation:
The AD1865 can be used with the CS8412. The latter must be set in 18 bits output mode. In fact it are 16 bits plus two padded in zero's.
If you are going to use higher bit chips you will only use 16 bits. The PCM63 has been used NON-OS.

Digital filter situation:
By the process of interpolation in the digital filter higher bit lenght words are formed, hence the use of higher bit DAC's. But data from redbook CD are always 16 bit.

:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.