replacing SAA7011 in marantz cd63

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an original marantz cd63 (same as philips cd100) I am currently trying to restore.
The SAA7011 decoder chip fails after a few minuits from cold, the turntable motor turning to full speed. If I replace it with SAA7010 the fault cures, the player seems to work ( reads toc, playes pauses repeats etc) but gives no audio out due to the unreliable data bit (unec) remaining set high.
I have read that when the SAA7011 became obsolete a mod kit was available with the SAA7010 enabling replacement. I cant find any info regarding the mod nor a 7011 data sheet to compare functions and perhaps work a mod out.
I would really like to get this player working again. If anyone has a data sheet or a circuit showing the 7011 or any other useful suggestions I would be extremley grateful
Regards gsd

Thanks for that.
I have decided to rebuild the entire circuit to look like the SAA7010 version of the cd100 and hope that will work. The main differences seem to be r/c values in the phase lock loop section which may explain the unreliable data flag.
Regards, gsd

Thanks for that.
I have decided to rebuild the entire circuit to look like the SAA7010 version of the cd100 and hope that will work. The main differences seem to be r/c values in the phase lock loop section which may explain the unreliable data flag.
Regards, gsd
From SAA7011 I don't find a data sheet. Also not in my own copies from an original Philips/Valvo data book, where SAA7010 was inside.
Was SAA 7011 a costom made version from SAA7010? It seems so, because also by "alldatasheet" and "datasheetarchive" nothing is to find

Who knows more?
What special features are there against the SAA7010?

Marantz CD-73 and Philips CD300/303/202 used by some devices of this models (not always) the SAA7011 together with Sony's chip set mentioned there:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/40682-cx7933-cx7934-cx7935-saa7030-tda1540.html

My Marantz CD-74 (CD-84) also uses SAA7011. I checked the data sheets, and it seems the SAA7010 has single-ended HF input, while the SAA7011 has differential HF input. You can try to move the feedback resistor from pin 9 to pin 8 (cut the original trace going to pin 8) and leave pins 9 and 10 unconnected for the SAA7010. Check the eye signal, it should be around 1.2Vpp.

For SAA7010 the pin 11 should be LOW, says the data sheet. During power-up, pin 11 should be held HIGH for 10 ms. This is the counter reset inhibit, and this might be the reason your player did not give any audio signal.

Last edited:
My Marantz CD-74 (CD-84) also uses SAA7011. I checked the data sheets, and it seems the SAA7010 has single-ended HF input, while the SAA7011 has differential HF input. You can try to move the feedback resistor from pin 9 to pin 8 (cut the original trace going to pin 8) and leave pins 9 and 10 unconnected for the SAA7010. Check the eye signal, it should be around 1.2Vpp.

For SAA7010 the pin 11 should be LOW, says the data sheet. During power-up, pin 11 should be held HIGH for 10 ms. This is the counter reset inhibit, and this might be the reason your player did not give any audio signal.
Good advices.
Can you upload the datasheet of the SAA7011? Looks it like that one from the SAA7010 about
http://vasiltech.nm.ru/files/SAA7010.pdf
If yes, please send it to my email address:
kirschner-hifi@tiefbasswiedergabe.de
thank you very much

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.