Gold Plated BNC Hardware

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Who said anything about 75 ohms?

I once put a $2000 Gore-Tex cable (with Type N connectors) on my my SPDIF setup. Fantastic bass. Top-end was smeared.

I also had the same cable with SMAs. Same effect. Think I gave them to a guy were I used to work, as that is where they came from, and he claimed to need them.

Yeah, that is what I should have been making all these years. $5000 SPDIF cables. Bet I could not have ordered them from Gore-Tex fast enough.

Jocko

Yes.

It was for a $150K microwave network analyzer, and came with more data than you can imagine so that its error contribution could be factored in. It really was worth $2k, unlike the snake oil cables audiophiles buy.

So, therefore, at $5k for audiophiles, it would have been a bargain.

Jocko

BNC 75 ohms connector

Here for the ones that were wondering how the real 75 ohms BNC connector looks like...

Attachments

• bnc_75.jpg
    bnc_75.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 480
You Mean $5000 (ok $2000) For Smeared Top-End ?.

Jocko Homo said:
I once put a $2000 Gore-Tex cable (with Type N connectors) on my my SPDIF setup. Fantastic bass. Top-end was smeared.

I also had the same cable with SMAs. Same effect. Think I gave them to a guy were I used to work, as that is where they came from, and he claimed to need them.

Yeah, that is what I should have been making all these years. $5000 SPDIF cables. Bet I could not have ordered them from Gore-Tex fast enough.

Jocko

How come the 'top-end was smeared' ?.

Eric.

Give the guy a break, man.......

For a 50 ohm cable, it sounded much better than you would think. And the bass was really good.

But I have no explanation as to why exactly it sounded that way. Generic 50 ohm cables are all rotten. Usually the bass and top-end are messed up when you have mismatches.

Jocko

Yeah !, Give Me A Break, Man.......

fdegrove said:
Hi,
Eric,

Wake up...the man's feeding you all the data, punch the number(s) in please.

Cheers,;)
Doh, did I miss that the discussion is about 75 ohm systems or something ?.
My question was about why Jocko's 50 ohm borrowed cable sounded good in the bass, but messy in the highs - now I understand that there was gross impedence mismatch, but still Jocko himself questions why the bass sounded good.

Jocko, is there a difference to using a 75 ohm or 50 ohm optimised system ?.

Eric.

Re: Yeah !, Give Me A Break, Man.......

mrfeedback said:
Jocko, is there a difference to using a 75 ohm or 50 ohm optimised system ?.
-----------------------------
Trouble is; what's an optimised system? The sound depends on the rest of the system as WELL. Most audiophiles match the cable to the sound they want. It's good to start from a technically sound basis though.

I have found consistently that there are cables that I don't like (Siltech) and others that I do (Kimber). Others will have different ideas.

It IS important to have proper impedance matching in digital transmission though.

50 vs. 75 ohm

Since I was developing a product for retail sale, it had to be 75 ohms. However........I bet if I made one just for me, and I made it 50 ohms on both ends, that Gore-Tex cable would be killer.

Matching interconnects for sonic properties is common pratice for audiophiles, although I think that is silly. Oh wait.....I said "audiophile". That explains it all.

Problem is, the some morons think that the same practice holds true for SPDIF. Anything that changes HF response is causing jitter.

Jocko

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.