Laser for my Linn Karik - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th January 2009, 08:53 PM   #1
kkwan18 is offline kkwan18  Wales
diyAudio Member

Default Laser for my Linn Karik

Hi, everybody

Is there anybody know how to replace a laser pickup for my Linn Karik II, i us it as a transport only......its very good at it
or is it not worth the while, thank you for any help.
Old 29th January 2009, 05:54 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I would just send it back to Linn.
Old 30th January 2010, 02:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The laser head is from Hitachi (go to my website about the button "CDP-Sercice" to get a photo).
I had the Linn Karik been several times for service. The laser unit was still in perfect condition after cleaning. In most cases the disc motor was poor or failured. The original disc motor comes from two different companies:
1) Mabuchi
2) Matsushita

If your disc motor device from Matsushita, replace it through a device from Mabuchi (higer realibility).

Please note, this isn't easy, because you must remove the pressed turntable (motor pulley) and you need new holes for the Mabuchi Motor (because the screw holes for the motor screws are arranged differently) !!!
The last step is the exactly height adjustment of your turntable (motorpulley)
If necessary, did cut the motor shaft.

If you are not a technician and Linn continued service support of this model, I say also: Send it to Linn.

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 30th January 2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 5th February 2010, 09:55 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

here you will find some photos
Linn Karik Compact Disc Player - which Loader ?
Old 6th February 2010, 02:29 PM   #5
kkwan18 is offline kkwan18  Wales
diyAudio Member

it sounds like you are right, motor failure because there is lots of noise and disc spinning very fast, disc cannot be read.
Old 7th February 2010, 03:11 PM   #6
GATKINS is offline GATKINS  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Karik Turntable Motor Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiefbassuebertr View Post
By strange coincidence, I powered up my Karik on Thursday night for the first time in a while and left it powered overnight with a disc inside the machine. When I entered the room on Friday there was a strong electrical burning smell coming from the unit. I removed the cover and powered it up. The tray and sled motors are working fine but my turntable motor appears to have died although I haven't stripped it down further yet. My Karik is a II (Ser.4600) and has the HOP-M3 laser. I notice that Donberg have the HOP-M3A mechanism available. Is the M3A compatible with the M3 ?.
Old 8th February 2010, 04:03 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

No!

HOP-M3 up to serial number 12999
HOP-M3A is for serial number 13000 or higher

www.lasertrade.de

Laser trays are unavailable.
Second hand Kariks are not that expensive :-)
Old 8th February 2010, 04:09 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATKINS View Post
By strange coincidence, I powered up my Karik on Thursday night for the first time in a while and left it powered overnight with a disc inside the machine. When I entered the room on Friday there was a strong electrical burning smell coming from the unit. I removed the cover and powered it up. The tray and sled motors are working fine but my turntable motor appears to have died although I haven't stripped it down further yet. My Karik is a II (Ser.4600) and has the HOP-M3 laser. I notice that Donberg have the HOP-M3A mechanism available. Is the M3A compatible with the M3 ?.
The HOP-M3A is compatible only electrical to the HOP-M3. But the connectors uses other place - have a look at the photos of both versions on my website - "CDP-Service"
A. Kirschner, individuelle Basslautsprechersysteme
Perhaps it is also possible to install, but I cannot say exactly, because I have it never tested.
If your Motor from Matsushita instead from Mabuchi (check the logo on your motor housing), your observed failure is typical. If the Motor from Donberg's mechanism comes also from Matsushita, don't order it (call and ask the motor brand before ordering). Mabuchi disc motors are not the best choice, but much more better regarded reliability and life time than this one from Matsushita.
If you find a mechanism with Mabuchi Motor, you can order this and exchange the optical pickup with your currently version, if there by the new device the other connector outline.
If you don't find this, the unpleasant work describted about post #3 must be carried out. If you don't find technicians, that can do this, you can mail me (and then perhaps send me your loader for motor exchange).
In this case I started this thread:
Compact Disc Motor and Turntable - Advices for Replace and Motor Service wanted
The mentioned unpleasant work would be a little more easy, if I have a suitable turntable with set screw for exactly height adjustment instead the old "one-way" version for pressing.

P.S. I have heard, Linn Karik was in use 79.000 h by the sound systems of "Queen Elizabeth II" - to read only in German about
http://www.musik-hifi-stammtisch.de/...f4cb2a04759beb
I cannot believe this, if a Matsushita disc motor inside

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 8th February 2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 8th February 2010, 04:42 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klc-audio View Post
No!

HOP-M3 up to serial number 12999
HOP-M3A is for serial number 13000 or higher

www.lasertrade.de

Laser trays are unavailable.
Second hand Kariks are not that expensive :-)
the link don't goes open. I think you mean this:
http://www.lasertrader.de/ (Navigation instruction: ‹bersicht - HiFi - Linn)

follow Linn Karik devices I find about ebay - item numbers:
120523793903 (570 euros)
200433723142 (566 euros)
120522698660 (599 euros)
180458335921 (300 euros)
Here in Germany the costs for Linn Karik in new condition was more than 2.000 Euro arround 1995

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 8th February 2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 8th February 2010, 06:43 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

WOW
I sold a late mint for 460 euros

Hide this!Advertise here!