Opinions on the Cambridge CD6 CD player?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

I am thinking about buying a budget 2nd hand CD player that will allow me to do some mods later. I did some research and found that the Cambridge CD3 is a real gem, since it uses 4 TDA1541 dacs. But since it is almost impossible to find, I came across a very nice CD6. Any opinions about it? It seems superbly built. What about its DAC, any good?

Hi cchean, I dont proclaim to be an expert but I thought I would add a post as i hate tumbleweeds.....
I did a quick google and noticed the cd6 uses the tda1305, i remember this dac well as it was used in the original and following DACMAGIC designs, I owned one of these and i also got a chance to speak to someone on the team of designers/developers, dont ask me who, it was a good 3 million gallons of Strongbow ago! basically they took the DAC as far as it could go but it was not a great DAC, they did a stellar job with seperate power supplies, etc, I remember a shed load of regs and god knows how many bridge rectifiers. At the end of the day the 1305 was the demise of the product, I watched my £200 purchase go for £75 new at richer sounds, how can you sell your product on when the shop knocks em out like that? Anyway, I vowed never to buy from them again. Enough of my winging....
I have been buying second hand cdp's on ebay, all of them have the TDA1541A in various forms, my fave is a Creek CD60, it has 16 of the best (at the time) 'off the shelf' Linear Tech regulators and an S1 single crown DAC. I also have a cambridge CD2, I have to say that when I plugged the CD2 in it made me sit up and gave me a massive cheesey grin! I have since obtained 4x S1 dacs which I may install in the CD2 along with other mods. The CD3 is basically the same but it has a much better power supply, they do come up on ebay and there was one on there last week that went for about £130. All I would say is dont bother with the cd6, at the end of the day the dac is the limiting factor. Hope this helps.

Alan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.