Opinions on the Cambridge CD6 CD player? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2009, 06:36 PM   #1
cchean is offline cchean  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Opinions on the Cambridge CD6 CD player?

Hello everyone,

I am thinking about buying a budget 2nd hand CD player that will allow me to do some mods later. I did some research and found that the Cambridge CD3 is a real gem, since it uses 4 TDA1541 dacs. But since it is almost impossible to find, I came across a very nice CD6. Any opinions about it? It seems superbly built. What about its DAC, any good?
Old 24th January 2009, 12:45 AM   #2
DawgNo1 is offline DawgNo1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi cchean, I dont proclaim to be an expert but I thought I would add a post as i hate tumbleweeds.....
I did a quick google and noticed the cd6 uses the tda1305, i remember this dac well as it was used in the original and following DACMAGIC designs, I owned one of these and i also got a chance to speak to someone on the team of designers/developers, dont ask me who, it was a good 3 million gallons of Strongbow ago! basically they took the DAC as far as it could go but it was not a great DAC, they did a stellar job with seperate power supplies, etc, I remember a shed load of regs and god knows how many bridge rectifiers. At the end of the day the 1305 was the demise of the product, I watched my 200 purchase go for 75 new at richer sounds, how can you sell your product on when the shop knocks em out like that? Anyway, I vowed never to buy from them again. Enough of my winging....
I have been buying second hand cdp's on ebay, all of them have the TDA1541A in various forms, my fave is a Creek CD60, it has 16 of the best (at the time) 'off the shelf' Linear Tech regulators and an S1 single crown DAC. I also have a cambridge CD2, I have to say that when I plugged the CD2 in it made me sit up and gave me a massive cheesey grin! I have since obtained 4x S1 dacs which I may install in the CD2 along with other mods. The CD3 is basically the same but it has a much better power supply, they do come up on ebay and there was one on there last week that went for about 130. All I would say is dont bother with the cd6, at the end of the day the dac is the limiting factor. Hope this helps.

Alan

Hide this!Advertise here!