Marantz CD65...keep,upgrade or replace?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've noticed that there is a lot of forum discussion regarding the quality and potential with the older Marantz CD players.

I am upgrading my system and have a Marantz CD65 Mk2 SE player. Is this worth keeping or should I replace this as well? I've read that you can upgrade early Marantz CD players but not sure if this is one of them.

If it's not worth it any suggestion as to a replacement? I've an Arcam Alpha9 amp. Are the Alpha 8/9 players any good ? I gather they used quality Phillips mechanisms. Don't know about the electronics.

Grateful for any guidance.

Keep it !!!!

The Marantz CD-65 MkII has one of the most desirable chipsets and cd mechanisms.

MARANTZ CD65 Mk II
TDA1541A
SAA7220P/B
CDM-4

Open it up and check what is written on the DAC chip.
With luck it may even have a "single crown" fitted.

One mod which is essential and produces fantastic results is to give the SAA7220 a separate supply and regulator.

Check out http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=133780 for ideas.

Good luck
Andy

I have to respectfully disagree with the others. CD technology has come so far since the CD65 was new. I heavily modified one for a friend. It finally died and could not be fixed. He got a Music Hall 25.2. We both could not believe how much better it was. Not a little, it just blew away the Marantz. I loved my old CD63SE in its time, but at some point you have to move on.

John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.