upgrade marantz CD94mkII

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does any of you have experience with upgrading a marantz cd94mkII?

It's an old cd player with 2 TDA1541A Single crown's in deferential mode and 4x upsampling, but with a lot of NE5534 behind the dac's.

I have the folowing options:

- make it a NOS dac by deleting the upsampling.

- make the dac's parallel. So 2 TDA1541 single crown parallel.

- straight from the DAC to a single FET like the http://www.lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/FETISHIZATOR/fetishizator.html and direct to the output.
I like this solution because it's very simple.
Or must i use some different kind of I/V conversion?

I think a discrete output will be better than opamps.

Reading DiyAudio is lots of different possibilities, but wich is best for me?

Regards
Ronald

To Start, I would improve the power supplies - extra regulators and maybe more transformers.

A new clock

Change output muting to relay if not already on this model

But whatever you do, remember the golden rule of modding......

Go slowly ! One mod at a time.......

Andy

all the suggestions are interesting and could make a huge difference in the sound :)

Still , HDAM analog output driver for DAC is worth installing, it looks like brand new and was designed by marantz/phillips

It will replace the output stage... its like changing the amplifier.

Boky,

i did search and found your topic about the 94mkII.
But.. there is nothing about a discrete analogue output. You use opamps, i will not.
There is nothing about making the DAC parallel and NOS.

I also found http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1719109#post1719109
wich does parallel dac's and NOS and use analogue output. But in some different situations.

I believe the changes to NOS, parallel and analogue output wil have more input on the sound than the changes you made. (at least i hope it will...)

Ronald

Ronrhe,

You have many choices :

HDAM - designed by philips and used by marantz in their top players = they do it in china - replication 90 $ us
= you just buy the module and plug it to the TDA output : it amplifies and buffer the signal and filter high frequency.

Build your own output/filter stage

Build the one of monica2 ( cant remember the name)

Build a tube output

Use any preamp with modification / aikido / etc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.